Is this normal?

samill2

sell? keep? sell? keep?
Established Member
Is this the right amount of fluid?

(Yes, I alreay got that piece of gasket material out of there so no lectures, please :) )

ShifterFluidLevel.jpg

samill2

sell? keep? sell? keep?
Established Member
Alright. Looks like it could use a little topping off, then. What's the stock fluid?

Thanks.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
The fluid you are seeing in there has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with how much fluid is actually in the trans. DO NOT add any unless you VERIFY the level is low. Get a manual, lol.

samill2

sell? keep? sell? keep?
Established Member
postban said:
The fluid you are seeing in there has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with how much fluid is actually in the trans. DO NOT add any unless you VERIFY the level is low. Get a manual, lol.

It sure would be nice if someone would explain.

So is the drain hole just to allow fluid to slosh up into the shifter area every now and then to keep it lubed or is it there to prevent overfilling of the shifter compartment/housing/thing (or both)?

If this is true, then there's no need to even look at the level of fluid in that housing to ascertain anything. Is that true?

Thanx.

PS - HelmInc. has been out of stock on owner's manuals for a while now - sux.

BO TY KLR

Established Member
You need to get under the car and look at the side of the trans. You'll see two plugs. Bottom is the drain and the top one is the fill. Pull the top(fill) plug and you should be able to feel the fluid with your finger. If you were to fill the trans with fluid all the way to the shifter mount it will be way overfilled. A lot of guys add fluid threw the shifter but you still only need to fill it as high as the fill plug on the side.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I believe the fill requirement is 3.5 quarts. Don't know when the last time, if ever, you've changed your tranny fluid, but now may not be a bad time. Pretty simple process with the shifter out.....

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Postban,

Doesn't the shifter extension connect to the main trans housing? A lot of guys refill their trans through the shifter extension until you see fluid appear. Is there a problem with overfilling the T56?

samill2

sell? keep? sell? keep?
Established Member
She's got 56k mi on the clock so I may just go ahead and change out the fluid. Here I thought I was just installing some shifter gaskets.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
When I changed my shifter at 5000 miles fluid was up to bottom of shifter extension-- came that way from factory. Know other guys have found the same. This is obviously above fill plug. What does this mean? Why would trans case need air in it except to provide for expansion with heat?

Users who are viewing this thread