Is this normal break in chatter?

bpcobra

Established Member
I just had an McLeod RXT twin disc clutch installed and I'm about 350 miles into the 500 mile break in. I've been doing easy starts with about 1500 rpm and it has a shudder and rattling sound. What is troubling is the shudder and rattle continue even after the clutch is completely engaged and my foot is off the pedal. It doesn't do it every time, but it is pretty often. Is this normal break in chatter?

bpcobra

Established Member
Are you still in your break in period? Mine is relatively quiet as well, but sometimes embarassingly loud. It seems louder the lower the rpms I let the clutch out at.

That sound persists until I shift out of first at 3k and continues through 2nd gear and into 3rd. It'll even do it when engaging 2nd when going around slow corners. It doesn't make noise when lugging in 4th through 6th.

I called McLeod and of course they said they can't diagnose sounds based on descriptions over the phone which I completely understand. They did say that a clutch shouldn't chatter once your foot is off the pedal.

I'm wondering if there is something loose since I occasionally hear a metallic clank from around the transmission area when going over bumps. I had subframe connectors welded in at the same time and they seem solid.

bpcobra

Established Member
Throwout bearing and machined flywheel. However, the noise was not clutch related at all! Turns out the catalytic converter was barely touching the subframe connector. It was hard to tell because it doesn't touch when cold and only does it warm. Now it is fixed and no rattle. The clutch is great!

sprstr1000

WHIPPLECHARGED
Established Member
Good to hear!!!
When my installed my RST, i was having shuddering and light smoke
during break in. Turned out they had put the wrong clutch in the box
or assembled it with the wrong ring. After talking to the tech at Mcleod
we had figured out the problem and they
promptly sent me the proper clutch.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread