Is this noisy transmission "normal"?

USMC-2-USN

Established Member
As seen in my SIG i have an early build 03 Cobra with the stock shifter and 4600 miles. When the shifter is in the neutral position and clutch is out i can definitely hear the throw-out bearing

when i am in 1st gear i can hear what sounds to be gears meshing with each other with clutch in...and only gets louder when clutch is out and car is moving. Switch to second the sound is still there. By third the exhaust is drowning out low grade sounds. The gear mesh sound almost sounds like a low-grade grinding

If this is normal i can live with it or install some dynomat to dampen the sound...if not normal i guess i need to bring it to FORD for some work

Thanks in advance

Bryan

tv's 03

Established Member
Mine make a sound upon taking off that seems to lesson as rpms come up, sounds normal to me.

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
"Sound" issues are always tough to quantify when typing on the forum. Hard to have a description that is understandable enough for someone to make a judgement.

The transmissions in these cars are noisy. No doubt about it. My car doesn't really alarm me because in my youth I was around the old "rock crusher" transmissions in the muscle cars. This just sounds similar to that. However, does your transmission sound like mine? No way for me to tell, and we could spend days here trying to describe it.

Best thing to do is find another '03 owner near you, go compare cars. That or take it to Ford and see what they say. In any event there should be noise from the throw out bearing.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
when mine started to squeal like a pig it was the throw out bearing. you cant miss it, its a distinctly louder and more obnoxious sound then the rest of the noises the transmission makes.

another other then that is most likely to be classified as "normal" but doesnt hurt to bring it in and let them check it out.

wjfawb0

Established Member
I am going to take a ride with him soon to see if it is any louder than mine.

-Jason

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
The T-56 I had in my formula was loud, made alot of gear noise. The factory T-56 in my 03 made the same gear noise in the lower gears...guess what the viper spec T-56 from D&D makes the same noises if not louder...its normal :beer:

Rome856

Established Member
"You think it is loud now? Wait till ya put in a tri-ax."

I have heard other mention this, I was looking at going with the tri-ax why is it much noiser? Does it have less insulatuion?

jcayer

Eats Ryc
Established Member
yeah.. none.. its loud, but that just lets you know its all still moving and working.. don't worry till it gets quite!!

jcayer

Eats Ryc
Established Member
(BTW.. the dynomat does help some, but not all.... oh, and when you install it, I simply cut a whole for the shifter handle to go in, and then I tucked the rest under. I didn't stick mine down, because everytime you goto work on it, or adjust anything, you will come out with black hands that are all sticky. That, and for any tranny/warr. work, I plan on putting the stock back in, which would be obvious that you have been playing with something under there if its covered in black crap...

USMC-2-USN

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I am going to hook up with "wjfawb0" (Jason) maybe tomorrow to see if his sounds the same. Although he has a Tri-Ax...so it wont be apples to apples comparison but atleast he will be able to tell me if it is normal or if i need to run to the nearest ford dealership.

It is under warranty so who cares...but man i would hate to roll around in a taurus for even a few hours!

Thanks again, guys

Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread