Is this my fuel pump?

swallent

Established Member
Posted this in the corral too but two forums are better than one and I really am stuck on this one....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

. here is what happened:

driving home from work today everything is running great...then about 10 mins from home coasting in neutral at 40 MPH the car just dies...I am like what the heck so I roll it into a gas station...and it will not start...call a tow truck and he takes about 40 mins to get to me...when he gets there he says try it one more time...bam starts right up...idles fine no check engine light...so I drive it home and put it in the garage....now it wont start again...here is my trouble shooting so far...

1. I had an SCT tune on the car...so I returned the car to stock and tested...it sorta fumbles and tries to idle at around 100 or less rpms and then dies. check for codes...only code..1000 wich is incomplete something or another...irrelivant

2.Listened for the fuel pump to prime inside and out side the car...I never hear it...upfront in the engine bay I hear a click but nothing in the tank

3. Took off the schrader valve cap and put a rag over the valve and depressed it...there was pressure in there...I drained it till it did not hiss anymore...then tried to start the car again...and then check for pressure...there is very minimul...

So I am thiniking fuel pump...unless someone else can help me trouble shoot any other ways....?

I think I will go out there in another 20 mins and try and start it again and see if it pressurizes the lines then...

thanks for any help guys I am stuck on this one...

snakebitgt94

Established Member
sounds like a fuel pump , same shit happened to me. driving normally and it cuts off. wouldnt start for like 20 mins. Starts right up, drove for another 20 mins and it shuts off.

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
The same thing happen to my 98 Cobra. I had a f/p gauge...it read 0 pressure so I knew it was fuel pump related. Get a f/p gauge and see what the pressure is.

Last edited:

swallent

Established Member
Just tried the Fuel pressure gauge today its 4 LOL....

So if I want to put a super charger on this care 1 day...what fuel pump do I need...also any good write ups on changing one? chiltons has nothing...

95PGTTech

Established Member
walbro 255lph will run you less than $100, direct replacement, just drop the tank and you will figure it out. and it will support quite a bit of boost, your injectors, MAF, etc. will limit you before the walbro does.

swallent

Established Member
Sweet thats cheeper than an oem replacement...I will do some looking for a walbro...

How hard is it to drop the tank? any gotchas'?

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
tank isnt hard to drop. take the three bolts out at the filler neck and gas cap.. unhook the wiring connector behind the tanks... unbolt the tank straps, then bring it down slow to unhook the fuel lines. as far as a pump.. depends in the power you make... 190lph will hold 400-450 or so... 255 will handle lots more power. just dont forget you need a adjustable regulator with a bigger pump

swallent

Established Member
Slow95Cobra said:
tank isnt hard to drop. take the three bolts out at the filler neck and gas cap.. unhook the wiring connector behind the tanks... unbolt the tank straps, then bring it down slow to unhook the fuel lines. as far as a pump.. depends in the power you make... 190lph will hold 400-450 or so... 255 will handle lots more power. just dont forget you need a adjustable regulator with a bigger pump

Ok now I am getting in over my head LOL...I have done a lot of work on 5.0 's and such but not a lot of fuel system work....I was looking at the 255lph on steeda's website for 109....but now I need a adjustable FPR? ok well recomend one of those to me as well steeda ok? i love thier products....as far as boost I want to start small...very small 6lbs...until the motor blows then I will build it big...

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
NO!!! you have a 98 and the walboro is NOT a direct drop in. You have to modify your basket to make it fit. **** it up and your looking at a LOT more money. A linclon aviator pump is a direct plug and play. Check ebay for them. Mu buddy just picked one up for 90 shipped off ebay. The aviator pump flows over 270plh too. More than enough for your standard 8psi vortech kit.

swallent

Established Member
Ok well can someone tell me what part number I need then? so steeda is no good either? and with the aviator do I need the adjustable FPR still?

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
you dont need the adjustable FPR, but they will make tuning a little bit easier. I cant remember the pump part # offhand, but if you search "aviator fuel pump" specific to this section, you will find it in no time.

swallent

Established Member
Red98CobraStang said:
you dont need the adjustable FPR, but they will make tuning a little bit easier. I cant remember the pump part # offhand, but if you search "aviator fuel pump" specific to this section, you will find it in no time.

YAY...thank you!!

Users who are viewing this thread