Is this (massive amount) of popping normal after a WOT pull?

31BCobra

#60 04' Cobra - Torch Red
Established Member
I posted my concerns in my other build thread, but I don't think I get much traffic there since you guys are probably sick of my thread being refreshed by now.

I have never ever heard a car sound like this after WOT. I have heard cars pop when the throttle is let off, but never to this extent. I assume it is the massive timing advance on E85 and all the unburnt fuel being dumped into the exhaust that is causing this. Just wondering if you guys think I should be looking to have more tuning work done, or if this is relatively safe for the car.

Other than a couple driveability things because of us being short on time, I am happy with the tune. This is not some hate against my tuners or anything like that. Just wondering about the sound. Thanks guys.

[video=youtube;afXS_981zo4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afXS_981zo4[/video]

Last edited:

31BCobra

Established Member
Damn, nobody?

I am thinking this is related to a vac leak I have, most likely in the EGR system.
The car is sucking air at idle, and remains running with the IAC unplugged. If there is extra air going into the ERG then it can make it down into the header and cause excessive fuel detonation in there.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Does it do it on the street too? Dyno decel sounds different some times due to different resistance than a rolling car.

Also depends if anything is off for tuning like injector shut off on decel, forced OL, and adaptive stuff. Depending on if they were tuning part throttle stuff also you'd have some or all of that off and that'll give you richer decel.

Last edited:

31BCobra

Established Member
All that fuel system and only 16lbs? I've never heard one do that on decel. Popping, but not exactly like that.

Yep 16lbs. I had a returnless system before and it took a shit. Decided to go big return while I had everything out. Going up to 22/23 psi soon.

Does it do it on the street too? Dyno decel sounds different some times due to different resistance than a rolling car.

Also depends if anything is off for tuning like injector shut off on decel, forced OL, and adaptive stuff. Depending on if they were tuning part throttle stuff also you'd have some or all of that off and that'll give you richer decel.

Nope, not on the street, or even after a short WOT pull. It only seems to be above like between 4500-redline after WOT. Kurgan said injectors are off during decel.

svtshadow

Banned
I believe its tune related and its due to unburnt gas. I believe it can be adjusted in the tune to make pop a little less. I like the pops.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Yeah, judging by the puffs when it pops it's fuel in the exhaust but question is why. Sometimes adjusting decel spark helps, as well as some of the thresholds for injectir shut off. Could look at the wideband on decel and see.

OP isn't exactly stock on much so hard to judge what's "normal" sounding. Does seem a little poppy/puffy on decel but I won't stress it unless it really bothers you.

Users who are viewing this thread