Is this Legal?

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Don't think so..I believe many states frown on smoked taillights and headlights..Should be able to google it for Florida to see

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
nope, now there are steps you can take to avoid being stopped ie: not smoking them as much, making sure the tails are bright enough....headlights you should never ever cover!

Explosive

Established Member
My internets being funky and the link won't load. However I'm guessing those are the snap/stick on covers ? I bought the smoked lens set for my Mach which will replace the entire tail light and I will say they look much better than spray on junk and they are just as bright if not brighter than the stockers and yet still have the nice smoked look. I've never been hassled and at night the police would have no idea they are smoked as they are very bright with the lights on and when I brake.

CWCobra

Established Member
Not responsive to OP question, but: I've never understood why anyone would want to intentionally compromise the effectiveness of headlights or tail lights...I just don't get it.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
My internets being funky and the link won't load. However I'm guessing those are the snap/stick on covers ? I bought the smoked lens set for my Mach which will replace the entire tail light and I will say they look much better than spray on junk and they are just as bright if not brighter than the stockers and yet still have the nice smoked look. I've never been hassled and at night the police would have no idea they are smoked as they are very bright with the lights on and when I brake.

What you will want to check is if the reflective part is still actually reflecting. I understand the lights may be or seem brighter, but part of the laws include the reflectors being visible and reflecting.

Those covers he posted will not allow the reflectors to reflect.

Easiest way to tell is just take a picture with a shitty camera with the flash on.

Explosive

Established Member
What you will want to check is if the reflective part is still actually reflecting. I understand the lights may be or seem brighter, but part of the laws include the reflectors being visible and reflecting.

Those covers he posted will not allow the reflectors to reflect.

Easiest way to tell is just take a picture with a shitty camera with the flash on.

Only night picture I have. I've been really happy with the quality of these tail lights.

P1090837.jpg

Daytime

nicerearedited.jpg

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Without having time to locate the applicable statue I did find that at night, two rear taillights must be visible from 1000 feet, and two stoplights must engage when the brake is depressed and visible in daylight at 300 feet.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Only night picture I have. I've been really happy with the quality of these tail lights.

P1090837.jpg

Daytime

nicerearedited.jpg

While they do indeed look pretty I don't think there is any reflectivity visible to them.

Another way to check is have a car behind it while your taillights are OFF at night or dusk. If you can't see the reflectors in the tails you won't be legal in most states.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Without having time to locate the applicable statue I did find that at night, two rear taillights must be visible from 1000 feet, and two stoplights must engage when the brake is depressed and visible in daylight at 300 feet.

They are not legal in florida.

VENMS04

Established Member
Why would the reflectiveness matter its not like you will be be driving at night with the lights off. I have had those exact tints on my car for 3 yrs now lived in CA and Now Kansas with no problems.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
That does not mean they're legal all it means is the cops that saw them had more important things to do at the time

Why would the reflectiveness matter its not like you will be be driving at night with the lights off. I have had those exact tints on my car for 3 yrs now lived in CA and Now Kansas with no problems.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member

Do you get pulled over every time you drive over the speed limit?

Tinting the taillights blocks the reflectivity. Cars are required to have reflectors. Not sure what's so hard to get about that.

That's like saying you don't have to have your headlights on when the streetlights are on.

Rossim22

Established Member
Do you get pulled over every time you drive over the speed limit?

Tinting the taillights blocks the reflectivity. Cars are required to have reflectors. Not sure what's so hard to get about that.

That's like saying you don't have to have your headlights on when the streetlights are on.

This is false. It says nothing about your tail lights having to be reflective, that's nonsense.

"They must also have two red lights visible from a distance of not less than 1,000 feet to the rear, or one red light visible to the rear for a distance of 1,000 feet and two red reflectors visible from all distances from 600 feet to 1,000 feet. "

State of Florida.com - Vehicle Guide

Just needs a red reflector on each side, visible from 1000ft.

bfe2_2.jpg

E.Marquez

Established Member
This is false. It says nothing about your tail lights having to be reflective, that's nonsense.

"They must also have two red lights visible from a distance of not less than 1,000 feet to the rear, or one red light visible to the rear for a distance of 1,000 feet and two red reflectors visible from all distances from 600 feet to 1,000 feet. "

bfe2_2.jpg

And since the picture clearly shows there are no aftermarket reflectors on that car, meaning the OEM reflectors are blocked by the tinting .. they are..wait for it.. illegal.
It’s not that hard.. you need lights visible to the standard.
You need reflectors visible to the standards. Not one or the other BOTH.

Block the OEM reflectors without adding some aftermarket ones, and your WRONG, in the state of FL, in the State of TX, and in many other states.

BUT you know what, every LEO I know thinks they are the greatest MOD you can add....gives them a very well defined reason to stop someone, that can be articulated easily to any judge.

And it’s fun to make fun of guys that get run in from behind…. That have “cool” looking tinted tail light covers.

Last edited:

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member

bfe2_2.jpg

Where in your actual quote does is say "on each side"? You just added that in there. Those reflectors aren't visible from the rear are they?

It doesn't. Next time you want to link a website do a couple of things.

First, try to understand what you are actually reading, you can't add your own interpretation.

Second, if you are going to quote motor vehicle laws try going to the actual State's website. Your google-fu needs work.

Rossim22

Established Member
Where in your actual quote does is say "on each side"? You just added that in there. Those reflectors aren't visible from the rear are they?

It doesn't. Next time you want to link a website do a couple of things.

First, try to understand what you are actually reading, you can't add your own interpretation.

Second, if you are going to quote motor vehicle laws try going to the actual State's website. Your google-fu needs work.

Ok mr comprehension fail, I'll break it down for you. A vehicle in FL must have TWO red taillights visible from 1k feet OR ONE red taillight AND two reflectors. If you have two red taillights visible from 1k feet, reflectors are not needed.

316.231 Lamps on other vehicles and equipment.—Every vehicle, including animal-drawn vehicles and vehicles referred to in s. 316.215(3), not specifically required by the provisions of this section to be equipped with lamps or other lighting devices shall at all times specified in s. 316.217 be equipped with at least one lamp displaying a white light visible from a distance of not less than 1,000 feet to the front of said vehicle, and shall also be equipped with two lamps displaying red light visible from a distance of not less than 1,000 feet to the rear of the vehicle, or, as an alternative, one lamp displaying a red light visible from a distance of not less than 1,000 feet to the rear and two red reflectors visible from all distances of 600 to 100 feet to the rear when illuminated by the lawful lower beams of headlamps. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
why are you still arguing this. it has been stated by a FLORIDA prosecutor that they are not legal in FL. Like a lot of other things there are plenty of people who do it and don't get ticketed but that does not make it legal. Your ramblings don't make it legal either

Ok mr comprehension fail, I'll break it down for you. A vehicle in FL must have TWO red taillights visible from 1k feet OR ONE red taillight AND two reflectors. If you have two red taillights visible from 1k feet, reflectors are not needed.

316.229 Lamps on parked vehicles.—
(1) Every vehicle shall be equipped with one or more lamps which, when lighted, shall display a white or amber light visible from a distance of 1,000 feet to the front of the vehicle and a red light visible from a distance of 1,000 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

Rossim22

Established Member
why are you still arguing this. it has been stated by a FLORIDA prosecutor that they are not legal in FL. Like a lot of other things there are plenty of people who do it and don't get ticketed but that does not make it legal. Your ramblings don't make it legal either

I edited my post with a more specific statute and I am correct. Our svt LEO's should stop expressing opinions when giving legal advice to others. So OP, as long as your lights are visible from 1000ft in daylight and at night, they ARE legal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread