Is this for real?

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Damn,.......that's a tough one for me. Why did the dude spit in the first place? On drugs?
I agree it's her job to help people, but being spit on,.......I would have been pissed off as well. Whether or not I would have punched his face in is questionable. Maybe if my job wasn't on the line. lol :D

Blown 89

Established Member
The problem here is that society allows people to act like that without any real consequences. The real consequences are on the person defending themselves. Society tells you to sit and take it and doesn't give the perpetrator a reason to never do it again. The world would be a lot better off is her employer, the police, and the justice system told this guy that if he doesn't want to get beat he should't spit on people then let the EMT get back to work. You'd see a sharp decline in people acting like that really quick.

Zemedici

Established Member
It does mention blood/ body fluids. It does not say anything about assault.
Since you like simple....a RN/EMT/Physician has the right to refuse treatment to a patient if they are concerned about possible bodily injury.
Just cause you feel you know how healthcare works cause "you have friends" doesnt mean you know anything about how it works.
Administration works on a different set of rules but if they want to keep their staff (shortages) they are very aggressive at staff retention.

REALLY long for a yes / no answer

And again. I dont know why we're even at a disagreement here.

You get spit on, you have means of reciprocating which does NOT involve haymakers? soooooo not sure what else there is to discuss.

lol and for you to sit here and low-key condone assaulting a patient / someone under your care, is a bit concerning. Perhaps you should consider a career change? The man was OBVIOUSLY (handcuffed and strapped to a stretcher, headed in for an evaluation) on drugs / having mental stability issues. So, call me crazy, but he MAY do some crazy things. Had she not started wailing on the guy like an upset 4 year old, she would have had some ground to stand on with an assault charge for him spitting. But say goodbye to that when you're ON VIDEO windmilling the guy, with him handcuffed and strapped to a stretcher lololol

Life cannot be this hard.

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
It does mention blood/ body fluids. It does not say anything about assault.
Since you like simple....a RN/EMT/Physician has the right to refuse treatment to a patient if they are concerned about possible bodily injury.
Just cause you feel you know how healthcare works cause "you have friends" doesnt mean you know anything about how it works.
Administration works on a different set of rules but if they want to keep their staff (shortages) they are very aggressive at staff retention.
Are you ****in' drunk? Or high? As a healthcare professional, you condone or even admit to causing harm to a patient? You might want to reconsider your career.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Profession and professionalism aside, spitting on me is a guaranteed way to lose a couple teeth. That's the one thing I have absolutely no tolerance for, and why I would make for a bad [insert profession here] where it's just another day on the job.

Spit on me in my dealership, and an ambulance ride is the only thing you're buying today. Lol

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Sorry but I feel the kid deserved it. If my 17 year old boy was in that situation I would apologize to her and thank the EMT.

Calling him a “child” is a bit of a stretch. “Idiot” is more like it.

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
I don't think anybody is disputing the fact that spitting on somebody is ****ing disgusting. But any healthcare professional that would cause harm, deliberately, to a patient of theirs better be ready to live in a van down by the ****in' river.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
Good thing you're not an EMT, or you'd be facing charges.

As @Revvv said, this is literally part of the job. Ask any EMT friends you have, I've got 4, and 3 of them have been spit on more than once. The last one just got certified last year.

Its part of the job. Its like complaining about working with shit, when you work as a plumber.

First responders will deal with bodily fluids, and the scum of the earth. Its a fact. They should know this going into the job........
You're making it sound like people in that profession should shrug this off as "no big deal". It's one thing if you're treating someone who's unconscious or something and drool comes out of their mouth and get on you some way. They deal with bodily fluids all the time, so do police, THAT is part of the job, and that is why they are all have gloves. But it's another when a person purposely spits on you, especially when you're there trying to help them. That is about the ultimate disrespect you can do to something.

People like that only learn through one way, a nice beat down. Act like an animal, get treated like an animal. Again, this is my opinion. I would expect any rational person to think the same way though. I don't let people walk all over me and treat me like a toilet.

dannydarko11

Yeah...no, I know
Established Member
I knew we had some true thugs on SVTP... lol

I can see having a reaction...
tenor.gif

But that lady went HAM lmao
If you're on the job, you should put the thug-gloves down and walk that shit off

If you're NOT on the job..

giphy.gif

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
If you spit on me, I'm knocking your teeth out.

This situation is different because:
1. The patient is a minor.
2. The patient was fully restrained.
3. The spit assisted victim is a trained professional that has to expect stupid behavior as part of the job.

I could not be an EMT.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

That's fair.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
Just watched the video too for the first time right now, apparently the kid was both spitting and trying to bite her when she was going to put a spit mask on him.

I got a kick out of those ignorant parents (or lack there-of for raising a child like that) during the interview, talking about their son getting hit "come on, no human being deserves this". No human being EMT employee deserves to be spit on and bit by your little animal child either.....

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
The problem here is that society allows people to act like that without any real consequences. The real consequences are on the person defending themselves. Society tells you to sit and take it and doesn't give the perpetrator a reason to never do it again.
100% spot on!!

Zemedici

Established Member
You're making it sound like people in that profession should shrug this off as "no big deal". It's one thing if you're treating someone who's unconscious or something and drool comes out of their mouth and get on you some way. They deal with bodily fluids all the time, so do police, THAT is part of the job, and that is why they are all have gloves. But it's another when a person purposely spits on you, especially when you're there trying to help them. That is about the ultimate disrespect you can do to something.

People like that only learn through one way, a nice beat down. Act like an animal, get treated like an animal. Again, this is my opinion. I would expect any rational person to think the same way though. I don't let people walk all over me and treat me like a toilet.

Disrespectful? Absolutely.

Wrong of him to spit? 250%

Is he a shitbag for spitting? Of course he is.

Is it justified for a professional EMT to lose their cool like that and start assaulting him back? No.

Takes two people to tango, I’m lost now some people don’t see this. She’s JUST as wrong as she is, except he’s a 17 year old and she’s a grown adult who is at work.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member

Is it justified for a professional EMT to lose their cool like that and start assaulting him back? No.

Takes two people to tango, I’m lost now some people don’t see this. She’s JUST as wrong as she is, except he’s a 17 year old and she’s a grown adult who is at work.
I couldn't have said that better.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member

I've been involved in the emergency medical field for over 30 years...I've seen some shit. I don't care what a patient does, it is absolutely wrong for any healthcare provider to retaliate or cause harm to an individual that they are supposed to be caring for. I, nor anybody else in this profession, is allowed to be judge, jury and executioner for somebody that is needing help. If you can't take the heat, get out of the ****ing kitchen. It ain't a job for everybody.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member

Better to sit there and be a victim than to dish some justice to a shitbag?

By your own account, she is just as guilty as he is now. So it's even then... Why are we damning the person who fought back and defended herself when she was spit on by a shitbag? You can sit there and be a victim, or you can give them a taste of their own medicine. And i bet that grown ass 17 year old will never spit on anyone again. :D

You're becoming a product of our weak society, which tells you to sit there and take it, and no real punishment will be given to the 17 year old, and he will go right back to being the shithead he always has been. That's called enabling, and it creates even more of these people.

I get it that in the eyes of the law, she was wrong. But laws aren't perfect, nor is our justice system for giving out adequate punishment either.

Zemedici

Established Member
Better to sit there and be a victim than to dish some justice to a shitbag?

By your own account, she is just as guilty as he is now. So it's even then... Why are we damning the person who fought back and defended herself when she was spit on by a shitbag? You can sit there and be a victim, or you can give them a taste of their own medicine. And i bet that grown ass 17 year old will never spit on anyone again. :D

You're becoming a product of our weak society, which tells you to sit there and take it, and no real punishment will be given to the 17 year old, and he will go right back to being the shithead he always has been. That's called enabling, and it creates even more of these people.

I get it that in the eyes of the law, she was wrong. But laws aren't perfect, nor is our justice system for giving out adequate punishment either.

No. If she had not swung on him like a simple minded fool she could have pressed assault charges. But now she’s without a job, and facing charges, while he will get paid for her overreacting. I doubt it’ll have any effect on him negatively honestly. How can you guys not see that?

Goes back to that logic thing i was talking about. Time and a place. When you’re in uniform is proooooobably not the right time or place. Lolol

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
No. If she had not swung on him like a simple minded fool she could have pressed assault charges. But now she’s without a job, and facing charges, while he will get paid for her overreacting. I doubt it’ll have any effect on him negatively honestly. How can you guys not see that?

Goes back to that logic thing i was talking about. Time and a place. When you’re in uniform is proooooobably not the right time or place. Lolol
Exactly!

know-yer-role-wipe-off-the-spit.jpg

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
I've been involved in the emergency medical field for over 30 years...I've seen some shit. I don't care what a patient does, it is absolutely wrong for any healthcare provider to retaliate or cause harm to an individual that they are supposed to be caring for. I, nor anybody else in this profession, is allowed to be judge, jury and executioner for somebody that is needing help. If you can't take the heat, get out of the ****ing kitchen. It ain't a job for everybody.
There are extenuating circumstances to everything.
Thanks for the judgement call on your part, especially since you werent at the scene and saw only a video clip...judge much? You said something about "judge, jury and executioner" but yet, you are ready to throw this woman under the bus? I wasn't there and in the realm of hypothetical "I would have" you already have the lady suspended or fired?
I am sure all of you that are judging have never done something that stretched the rules? Never got a warning ticket instead of a speeding ticket. You jumped out of your car and demanded a ticket right? Give me a break. Your all saints on top of having five girlfriends/boyfriends, unlimited cash, five houses in the Hamptons.....
Zemedici...since you also are apparently a prosecutor and judge in your spare time, let me tell you a bedtime story about healthcare.....
Thee once was a idiot that came into a transplant/open heart surgery unit with an ax. This idiot wanted to kill a doctor because his family member had died post surgery. Turns out, a few physicians took the idiot down and beat the piss out of him and held the idiot until the cops got there to arrest said idiot. This is assault (by your definition a travesty of healthcare professionalism) but no one ever pressed charges. How could this be? They should probably get out of healthcare! They can't handle the heat...wtf ....
Since people puff out their chests with "my xx years of healthcare experience..." Yeah, I got you. Twenty years in this year. Been pissed on, shit on, puked on. Held the hand of someone while they died and begged not to. Held a kids head together while his brains dripped out, house supervisor and night ER supervisor for an entire hospital (60+ patients, 60+ staff members), charge RN for a CVICU (cardiovascular intensive care unit) with 28 critically ill patients overseeing 18 RNs undr a lot of stress/short staffing..... I could go on and on...
You can judge all you want, just know there are two sides. What happened and what she/he said happened. Playing devils advocate, it looked to me like the kid was spitting on the EMT and she was trying to block the spit with her new "karate" moves. Maybe he was really blowing her kisses. I don't know though, I wasn't THERE.

Users who are viewing this thread