Is This An Imaginary Seal?

BivDBO

Car audio guru
Established Member
Ok guys my rear end took a dump on me and the spider gears got destroyed. That being said I am in the process of rebuilding the differential. I know the previous owner had 373 gears put in by a shop. What I have noticed is that on the inside of one of the wheel bearings there is a seal that looks like it seperates the greased bearing from the differential fluid. It is kind of pressure fitted in on the inside of the bearing and can be removed by hand from the inside of the dif. The problem is it is not on the other side, and no dealership around here says that the seal I have exist? Does anyone know if this seal is supposed to be here, or where I can find one. Everywhere I call just has the outer bearing seal which is incased in metal and says that is the only one they show. Any help would be appreciated I only want to do this once!

BivDBO

Car audio guru
Established Member
Yeah I went to Ford and looked at their diagram today. It doesn't show anything there, but the bearing that had the seal on it was obviously greased. I have no idea what to do, or if the seal was even supposed to be there from the start.

rich1

Established Member
There is only one seal ...thats the rear axle housing seal on a stock rear axle. Unless someone installed 2 or one was left in by mistake. :shrug:

BivDBO

Car audio guru
Established Member
Well I got it figured it out. The previous owner must have ruined the factory wheel bearing on one side. They had to put an aftermarket axle sleeve kit in to take the place of the factory bearings. This came with the inner seal so you can pack the bearing with grease. All is good and thanks for the input!

Users who are viewing this thread