Is this a transmission problem?

quiCk paW 07

Established Member
I recently purchased a used 99 SVT Contour with 80k miles, car is in excellent shape. Since the cold weather has set in, I have noticed that when I first start the car and drive it, I have a really hard time with 2nd gear. Often times I will go to shift into 2nd, and it will either pop out, or it will not even go into 2nd. Then I usually have to put go back to N then try it again. After the car warms up it seems to go away, it happens when I drive the car for the first time in the morning or after leaving work.

Is this a transmission problem or is it just the cold weather that's doing this? (The previous owner claims to have always used Redline transmission fluid and claims to have never had any transmission problems).

crazyj0n

Established Member
if it pops out of gear, its most likely not the weather
your 2nd gear synchro sounds bad

crazyj0n

Established Member
ill look, but its definitely the labor you need to worry about
ive heard some shops dont work on the mtx-75 because of the difficulty

my synchros are junk also, i just learn how to deal with it

Last edited:

OutlawdSVT

Established Member
Yes it could be the synchros, but it could also be the tranny fluid. I only say this cause it goes away when it gets warmed up Does it grind when trying to put it into gear? If no grind I suspect adjustment of some kind. I had a mustang that did the same thing no grind, but it would pop out of gear all the time, I adjusted the cable linkage and the problem was fixed

00tourSVT

Established Member
it is a synchro/bushing problem that shows itself more apparent do to the cold weather i had the same issue at one time with my car. you can't fix the problem without tranny work, but you can drain the gearbox and refill with RP sychromax, this will allow you to get it into gear on cold mornings (worked in my car), but of course this won't fix the synchro/bushing problem that will need to be addressed at some point.

in order to get it fixed, take the tranny out yourself and have then have it worked on. it will save you some money. it really isn't that hard if you have some help, and there are how too's on CEG. i have done it a couple of times and just takes some time.

blowns281

GARAGE QUEEN
Established Member
how long have you had it? you might want to check the connectors at the end of your shifter linkage on the trans, its plastic and wears out

hootiehoo442

Established Member
I know shops around me are charging any where from 750-850 just to pull the tranny out

Users who are viewing this thread