Is this a clutch problem?

Colt .45

Established Member
Before I spend big money on clutch replacement, I would like to know if this is what is causing my problem.

Got into a friendly race and 1-3 shifts were fine. Once I tried to shift into 4th gear, it would not let me. No matter what I did. After coasting for a bit I was able to put it into gear but it made a slight grinding sound. While coasting still, I put it into neutral and back into 4th. It made the grind sound again.
Any other time, it shifts fine. Even when I "get on it" and short shift.

Is this clutch related?

BTW:
Im using a stock clutch setup with a Pro 5.0 Shifter with 569hp/518tq.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
The grinding sound might be something other than the clutch itself. Do you have a aftermarket quadrant/adjuster? If not you may want to try that first. When was the fluid checked/changed last and with what type of fluid?

Colt .45

Established Member
The grinding sound might be something other than the clutch itself. Do you have a aftermarket quadrant/adjuster? If not you may want to try that first. When was the fluid checked/changed last and with what type of fluid?

No, its totally stock.

No idea on the fluid change. I have less than 1500 miles on it since I bought it. It has 47xxx miles on the car.

The grinding sound only happened under that scenario.

It hasnt made any noise since under normal or slightly aggresive driving.

metaman

Established Member
You need to reset the the stock quadrant, the clutch is not disengaging enough, to do with the car off, you put the car in gear, set the ebrake, push the clutch pedal all the way down, then let it up and reach down with you hand and pull up on it. It is designed to be reset this way. It will raise the point of disengagement and enable better shifting.

Users who are viewing this thread