Is there a good all season tire for our shelbys?

Bllit11

Established Member
I was just wondering if anyone is running a all season tire i'm going to be ordering some tires soon i have the mpss and i might go to the 275/295 combo but i do like driving it on nice cold days which is around 35 degrees no colder. Thanks

ThomasL

Established Member
MPSS are good in cold weather (cold to me is 30s and 40s). But i also think Michelin makes a Pilot Sport A/S that some guys have used.

Bllit11

Established Member
Thanks thomasl i looked at the a/s but the tread width is the same front and rear i would like to have the staggered look year round

Bllit11

Established Member
I guess i want my cake and eat it to lol. i have the mpss already on it in the stock size and they pick up rocks like crazy although not as bad as the goodyears.

mikengail

Established Member
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. Most Ford dealers will match or beat the best written quote that you can present from any other source...

mikengail

Established Member
I'm not at the house right now and I'm driving the Coyote. I'll shoot you some pics as soon as I get home. I think they look better than the original GY's. I know they perform better overall and last longer. Consumer Reports ranks them the best all season tire in the U.S...

Last edited:

Bllit11

Established Member
Great if they look good i will be ordering them are they the factory sizes and enjoy the 5.0 to cool to go out in the shelby alittle snow on the road lol

mikengail

Established Member
Actually, I should have said the best a/s UHP tire. It's in the 60's here today. 70's over the weekend. Tomorrow, the top goes down on the 5.0 for sure. By the way, the wife's Shelby drives better in the rain than my car now. We both have to still leave all of the nannies on though...

mikengail

Established Member
Here you go...

Attachments

• image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 295
  • image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 291
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 296
  • image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 286

Pete Grimaldi

Established Member
These tires do come in stock sizes...

Mike, are you using these tires all year or just for cold weather? Is it a better street tire than the Goodyear in the summer? I am using Pirelli A/S P Zero Nero tires on Boss 302 rims for cold weather driving, and they do the trick. The car is in the garage now until the end of March here in New England though.

I will have to purchase a new set of tires for summer driving and mounted on the Shelby wheels. I've got around 8000 miles on the Goodyears and they are not good for street driving at this point.

Pete

Last edited:

mikengail

Established Member
For anyone that doesn't want to do the whole seasonal tire/wheel swap thing, these are as perfect as they can be. Both of our cars are daily drivers. When it snows, we tend to use the Coyote A6 almost exclusively. Last winter, the tires were the major deal breaker. This year, the only advantage my car will have over the Shelby is the A6 and being able to take off delicately in 2nd or 3rd. That's as good as it's going to get with these kinds of rear wheel high output pony cars, unless one switches to dedicated snow and ice tires.

As for the A/S 3's summer driving, I didn't notice any limitations over the stock GY's. Admittedly, I don't push the wife's Shelby on the open road and she only circuit tracks it on very rare occasions, still being very much the novice. Yet, in all other respects, it's hard to explain the overall improvement with these tires, unless you drive an A/S 3 equipped Shelby yourself. MUCH more comfortable. Easier on the kidneys. Still hugs the road like it's on rails. Never worry about getting caught in the rain, even at turnpike speeds on long trips.

Don't really know how they compare to the GY's in a dig start. We have never done that to her Shelby. Any streetlight runs we've ever made, and they have been very few, were always made rolling from 2nd. Hers has never been to the drag strip and mine has only been 3 times.

You may notice a little more road noise, until they're broken-in. After that, they're quieter than stock. The only thing I would have done differently, is make the A/S 3's part of the original deal. I was too stubborn in trying to get all the miles I could out of the GY's. For us, it was 20k, but most people get far less. That soft compound wears down rather quickly. I can already tell that these tires are going to almost double our tire longevity, before needing replacement.

Hope this helps...

Bllit11

Established Member
thanks that looks good do you have any pics from the rear? Does it still have the staggered look according to tire rack the tread widths are the same in the factory sizes compared to the mpss and the stock goodyears?

mikengail

Established Member
Wife has it at work today, so no pics this morning. Mine are not quite as staggered as to width as stock. It's not because of the tires though. It's because I put one size wider on front. No racing and handling secret at all to this. I'm just a cheap *ss. The 275's were cheaper than the 265's. Lol. But yes, the staggered look is still there. The 285's in back are noticeably wider to the naked eye than the 275's in front. I can still get you some pics this afternoon though, if you would still like to compare...

Bllit11

Established Member
Thanks yes would like to see it and I totally understand the cheap *ss thing i'm there to just trying to make an informed decision

mikengail

Established Member
Thanks yes would like to see it and I totally understand the cheap *ss thing i'm there to just trying to make an informed decision

Remember, my fronts are 275's, one size wide. Rears are stock size 285's...

Attachments

• image015.jpg
    image015.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 199
  • image035.jpg
    image035.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 198
  • image025.jpg
    image025.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 189

Users who are viewing this thread