Is there a downside to going too large on Throttle Body?

irontexan

Established Member
I have been looking at throttle bodies lately and am wondering if there is a downside to going too large on the throttle body?

I know the CJ65 is the most popular for its known increase in power and reliability. Most say it is good to go for up to 700 rwhp applications.

But I have also read several comments on the L&M 72 and BPS 73 and even VMP 67 "not really looking at any of the Mono blades" running perfectly fine and making substantially more power than the CJ65. Price is also about the same across the board.

So in a 650-700 rwhp application, what would be the negative of going with one of the larger throttle body's? Would it hurt the power curve or have a negative effect on throttle response?

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
PHP:
Depending on who you use to tune the car it can be more difficult for them. Unless it's a race car I would go with the fr65 or the vmp 67 but you can try to squeeze out a little more whp with the larger one's. Best bet is to ask what your tuner prefers and is comfortable using.

Last edited:

MattR

Established Member
Big throttle bodies sometimes don't have very smooth tip in. Other than that if tuned right drive just fine.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Go with the SCJ monoblade throttle body. Same size as the twin 65mm but without the splitter in the middle. Drives and idles perfectly, but gives at least another 15WHP (according to my butt dyno) without any additional tuning. I went from the 65mm twin to the monoblade and have zero regrets. Never got retuned for it, either.

Users who are viewing this thread