Is the Paint used on the 2013 GT500 Soft?

stanger1

Established Member
Group,
I have had my 2013 GT500 for almost 3 years and I don't drive Hiway much and always keep a good distance from any cars ahead, just for any rocks thrown up, etc.
But the front of my car sure is getting alot of chips, or just small specks where the paint has been hit by rocks, etc, and it just seems like the paint is , Soft!
Can't think of a better term, so question is, did Ford change the paint on the 2013's.
I had heard that they did switch to a water based for the 2014's. Don't know if that is fact or not.
I don't really want to put that 3M clear on the front, but may be too late now.
I mean, it not bad, just my OCD coming out when it comes to this car.
Thanks

stanger1

Established Member
So the difference between a solvent vs water based paint, which would be more durable or longer lasting? When I hear water based paint, I think "cheaper" and I hope that is not the case for the 13.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I was worried about the switch when I ordered my '14 then heard about the paint change but I've been very happy with the paint on my '14. Much better than my '04 Cobra was.
-J

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Get paint correction and Xpel paint protection ASAP. I did 3M and Xpel is better. Really glad I did 3M but when it is time to replace it will be Xpel. The longer you wait, the more damage.

Tom

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Those robots are fun to watch but they have no soul. Orange Peel finish doesn't keep them up at night. It does me.
I understand mass production doesn't allow for a perfect paint application. But for the price of higher end cars anyway, most would be willing to shuck a few more bucks for a more thoughtful/human applied finish. And the car world would be a happier place.

Kel

Established Member
Get paint correction and Xpel paint protection ASAP. I did 3M and Xpel is better. Really glad I did 3M but when it is time to replace it will be Xpel. The longer you wait, the more damage.

Tom

Agree, paint correction/CQuartz makes a world of difference! For what we spend/spent on these cars, it's not a lot of $$ in the scheme of things.

Robot_trainer

Established Member
I actually had to repair two stone chips on the door, so small you could barely see it. It actually put tiny pin dents in the door (no coating in the world will stop that!). spend a few hours touching it up, wet sanding and buffing. You have to have your eyeball right up against the repair to see it. Luckily I have a friend that does paintless dent removal. Took the small dents out in seconds.

svt662

Established Member
For 60k 70k what wouLd you expect? I think it’s one hell of deal and glad to have purchased one....:)

Attachments

• 1A9ABFF8-7850-4E5E-9E9D-1FF01A52533A.jpeg
    1A9ABFF8-7850-4E5E-9E9D-1FF01A52533A.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 96

stanger1

Established Member
Thanks for the replies and info on the paint.
Yes, I do really like this car and glad I got it almost 3 years ago. Now to just get it paid for!!

Users who are viewing this thread