Is the disc rearend out of '88 Turbo Coupe same as '93 Cobra?

gts95

Established Member
I have read somewhere that the disc 8.8 rearends that came in the '88 5-spd Thunderbird Turbo Coupe's is the same as the '93 Cobra's....anybody know if that is true? I see those cars from time to time in the local Pick-N-Pulls.....wondering if it's worth grabbing the rears out of them.
I know Ford pilfered their parts bins when they put together the '93 Cobra (like SVO tailights :) ) , it would not surprise me if the rear was assembled from already existing Ford parts.
Thanks.

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
Exactly the same except for a couple of small differences.

The turbo coupe rear has:

The quad shock mount is taller
The axles have ABS rings
They came with 3.55's (5sp) and 3.73's (auto)

I have one in my 88 GT.

gts95

Established Member
Hmm....I might grab the next one I see. Sounds like a good deal seeing you already get good gears installed by the factory!
Does the taller quad shock mount cause a problem?
What about the emergency brake cable?
I take it the axle length is the same (a little wider than a stick Fox Mustang drum brake axle)?

thanks for the help!

Originally posted by Goodson
Exactly the same except for a couple of small differences.

The turbo coupe rear has:

The quad shock mount is taller
The axles have ABS rings
They came with 3.55's (5sp) and 3.73's (auto)

I have one in my 88 GT.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Other differences are:

TC E-cables are totally different in design, but you could snag some off a Sn-95 Mustang which are the same as 93 Cobra.

TC has solid (non-vented) rotors where the 93 Cobra has vented rotors.

Actually the axles lengths are different but by a very small amt.

The quad shock bracket only causes problems when you try to stuff a wide tire under the car as the shock is raised that much closer to the tire bulge. You can fix it though by drilling the quad shock bolt hole lower in the bracket, back to mustang height.

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
Originally posted by cobra186
Other differences are:

TC E-cables are totally different in design, but you could snag some off a Sn-95 Mustang which are the same as 93 Cobra.

Yes that is true the e brake cables are different from car to car. But the ones from a 93 cobra are what you need for a 1993 mustang. 87-92 mustangs need a different part number

TC has solid (non-vented) rotors where the 93 Cobra has vented rotors..

Not true at all. 87-88 turbo coupes have 10.5" vented rear rotors exactly like the 93 cobras. As a matter of fact the part numbers are the same for them at any local auto store.

Actually the axles lengths are different but by a very small amt.

Nope they are exactly the same too except the Turbo coupe has ABS rings on them. Same length and everything.

The quad shock bracket only causes problems when you try to stuff a wide tire under the car as the shock is raised that much closer to the tire bulge. You can fix it though by drilling the quad shock bolt hole lower in the bracket, back to mustang height.

The quad shock bracket is taller so you have to drill a hole 1 1/2" lower to mount a mustang quad shock on.

http://svo73mm.cjb.net/

There is more detailed info there if you ever need to check up on information about the turbo coupe rear brakes vs. the 93 cobra.

Last edited:

gts95

Established Member
thanks for all the helpful tips.....I need to pay more attention to the Turbo Coupes at the Junkyards. I distinctly recall seeing several lately with the disc rears.

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
Originally posted by 93Cobra2771
What about the master cylinder on those cars, Bob? Are they similar to the 93 Cobra as well?

No that is a totally different animal. It is a piece that utilizes the ABS electronics. I have seen them bring big bux. A buddy of Brian's (broncobuddha) has a turbo coupe and the ABS on the master cylinder went out on it and he would have paid an unGodly amount of money at a junkyard. He just bypassed the ABS stuff. It is a wierd looking piece. Not even close to anything on any mustang.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Damn... I must have some rare TC coupes. I currently have 10 87-88TC here and they have solid rear rotors. Maybe there was a change in production through the years. :shrug:

The axles are different in length but only by a few 32nds

The 93 Cobra e-cables and Sn-95 are the same exchangeable part.

Sorry to argue but I have a large salvage yard here in Texas and we deal mainly in Fords. We have the 10 TC in stock now, 8 '93 Cobra parts cars and nearly 500 mustangs for parts along with other various Ford cars/trucks, Lightnings etc.

Last edited:

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
There was not a change in production. Double check the rotors on them. I bought one from a junkyard in KY and it had vented rotors. Three friends own 87-88 turbo coupes. One has 2 junk cars with the rears still in them and drives one everyday. All 5 of the TC's have vented rear disc rotors. I also helped put one in an 83 GT, it also had vented rotors.

You'll have a PM from me because I need something from a 93 cobra if you still have it. Those cars usually get pillaged pretty quick.

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
Yep , the turbo t-birds have the vented rotors, I just got some from a salvage yard along with the calipers and brakets. I used the on a 93 cobra theft recovery that was missing the brakes.

jizzmirk

Established Member
Would any of you folks know if the front brakes were taken from another model?

I bought PowerSlot rear rotors a few years ago and now have to replace the fronts. I'd like to put PSs on the front as well (to match), but the PowerSlot website indicates that they do not carry a part number for 93 Cobras.

Otherwise, if anyone can suggest a rotor that has straight slots without the cross drilling, I'd be greatful.

-j

91lxcoupe

NOTCH U
Established Member
I have some used sn95 e brake cables if anyone needs em. Also have a SVO/MARK7 rear disc setup for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread