Is the carpet permeable?

TCSoff

I'm watching
Established Member
As the title implies I want to know if the carpet in our cars (s197) is permeable. I spilled a crap load of milk in my car :bash: I cleaned it up with some turtlewax carpet cleaner that has deodorizers but it's starting to smell pretty bad anyway. Do I need to remove the carpet to clean/replace the foam under it? Thanks for the help guys.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
If you got it up pretty quick you should have been ok. The carpet has a reasonable rubber-ish backing on it, but liquids can still go through it from what I can tell.

You need a cleaner that breaks up the enzymes.

It would be *best* if you could get under the carpet in the area where the milk was spilled to make sure the backing is dry and wasn't saturated. It's one of those things you don't know for sure until you look.

A lot of "pet" (dog/cat) related carpet cleaners work best at breaking up odors and enzymes. Lysol also does really well.

Test any cleaner in a spot you can't see first; I've never had any major brand do any damage, but you never know.

May want to stick a box of baking soda in the car for a couple days or week after you clean it just to get a good, neutral smell back.

Good luck!

oldmodman

Established Member
You should start off by finding someone that has an extractor to get all the milk out first. Then wash and extract, over and over to get out as much as possible. Then worry about deodorizing. You can even use something as low end as a Bissell Little Green Clean Machine. It will just take longer than a real extractor. But you have to get all the milk out or it will start stinking again.

Users who are viewing this thread