Is the bbk cold air that bad?

lookinfor cobra

Established Member
Ok who has one and why are they bad? Im torn between the bbk and wms If I get the wme can I have the a/f meter recalibrated at a later date for bigger injectors for my 5.0 stroker ??????? thanks mike....

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
the only thing that makes the bbk one bad is that it is metal, its a nice looking piece though, so it heats up in the engine compartment and heats up the air passing through it, but if you get the fenderwell air will be passing through so fast it shouldnt make any difference, and i take it by a/f meter on the wms you mean the mass air meter? if so yes it can be recalibrated because they use pro m, all you have to do is send it back to pro m and they can recalibrate it for what size injectors

LAXbronco65

PIMPIN THE 916
Established Member
i have one. i like it. it looks good, its a pain in the ass to install if u have ur cross member brace on but it will fit. there is a noticalbe difference in the car, i can feel tht there is defiantly more torque in the low end and a little more power up top. but what i really like about it is that it sounds better. i dont know why but my car sounds meaner with the cold air on it then when its not on it. just my $.02.

Justin

lookinfor cobra

Established Member
hey lax where did you buy it and how much did you pay for it? I was thinking of going all bbk cold air and t/b and pulleys what do you think?Im a firm beliver in matching components....mike

svtguy22

Established Member
i have a MAC but its very simular, lovin it. goes well with a little billet stuff added!

P1010355.JPG

Last edited:

mystic venom

Established Member
Well I had a mac which is the same, for about 2 days, you couldn't even think about touching it after the car was warmed up, mine ran better with the drop in K&N filter than the Mac which sucked caUSE i HAD --LL putting the thing in, I would strongly suggest the WMS over the BBK, Just my .o2$

LAXbronco65

PIMPIN THE 916
Established Member
came with the car. but it wasnt installed on it cause it wouldnt pass smog with it on. so 1 hour after i bought the car i put it on. all i can really say i that i like it and i can feel a difference when its on the car. if it hadnt come with the car i probably would have gotten it eventually anyways. its a pain in the ass to put on though.

Justin

Tucker

Metal intakes WILL heat up the air and lose HP.
BBK is aluminum which is the worst as far as heat soak.
They look great though. If you want "just" looks.

Mhissticobra

Established Member
I have one on my Cobra and will be selling it here really soon for plans for a supercharger over the winter.Let me know if you are interested. Here's a pic

cobra_015.jpg

mustangdan429

Established Member
i ordered a bbk cai 2 nights ago from JEGS. $270 and free shipping. im going to dyno my car stock then with the bbk. ill let you know hot much it helped.

danny

Mhissticobra

Established Member
Originally posted by lookinfor cobra
mhissticobra what wires do you have and check your pm thanks...

The wires are the Ford Racing Performance Parts 9mm wires.

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
Guys, I have been wondering this myself...its the next mod I want to do and I have been hearing on these boards and others that any CAI that is made out of metal is bad...but if its in the fender I would asume that the cold air would rush through fast enough not allowing it to heat up the air?!? Plastic gets hot too right? By the way, that BBK set-up is the one I'm looking to get, man is it pretty! 270 + free shipping danny is a good price.

-Chris

Users who are viewing this thread