Is that camera always on?

ib6-ub9

Established Member
I was just wondering if the camera in police car was always on, the other day i passed a cop going pretty fast. I never saw any lights but i think he may have tried to follow me after, not reallly sure it was night i couldnt tell. Do you think i will hear about it again :( Its been about a week and im not in jail so maybe no, never speeding again ehe.

BWH2003

Established Member
Nope around here (Indiana) the camera will only turn on when the lights are on. If they are following you without lights on they are probably running your plate but its not on video until he lights you up. If the camera ran constantly they would run out of tape quickly. Plus everytime they need a new tape a supervisor has to come with a key to exchange the tape out with a new one.

So in short I wouldnt worry one bit and if your not in jail by now your ok

ib6-ub9

Established Member
So lets say he was going 60 and i passed at 145... the lights never went on, am i safe :uh oh:

ib6-ub9

Established Member
Well I think he tried chasing, not really sure, it looked like he moved into my lane but after that his headlights were unable to be seen, and never saw any red/blues come on.

BWH2003

Established Member
He may not of even had time to react. That or sometimes there are policies that they will not chase you if your going over a certain speed. They just enacted a law for our state that if you are moving 130 + they will call off the chase/not start a chase due to safety issues. He may not of even tried to waste his time as fast as you were going.

UCNTWIN

Banned
BWH2003 said:
He may not of even had time to react. That or sometimes there are policies that they will not chase you if your going over a certain speed. They just enacted a law for our state that if you are moving 130 + they will call off the chase/not start a chase due to safety issues. He may not of even tried to waste his time as fast as you were going.

Either that or hes not stupid??? Im pretty sure the cop would of had little chance to catch him if he was already going that fast. Face it if you blow by a cop at 150 and hes stopped or going slow, he aint doing shiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

hollywood

Dynamic freak
Established Member
ib6-ub9 said:
Well I think he tried chasing, not really sure, it looked like he moved into my lane but after that his headlights were unable to be seen, and never saw any red/blues come on.

LOL .... I like the way you put this. Lets face it, you don't think he was chasing you, you know he was and are now worried that he may have had a chance to take your licence plate number :nono:

Lawman85

Banned
BWH2003 said:
Nope around here (Indiana) the camera will only turn on when the lights are on. If they are following you without lights on they are probably running your plate but its not on video until he lights you up. If the camera ran constantly they would run out of tape quickly. Plus everytime they need a new tape a supervisor has to come with a key to exchange the tape out with a new one.

So in short I wouldnt worry one bit and if your not in jail by now your ok

Wrong

I can activate my camera several ways. I can turn on the blue lights, or hit the Rec. button, or if I'm away from my car just flip on my microphone and the camera starts. I know officers that use one video tape per shift, they ride around with it on all the time.

I have a stack of blank tapes in my car, I swap them out when they are full and turn the full ones into a supervisor.

Every agency is a little different, but we can record anytime we want.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
Keep and eye on your mail for the newxt few weeks. Just becuase you were not served the citation in person, dosen't mean that he can't write one out and mail it to you.

Also, as Lawman 85 said, there are many ways to start the recording process. Many of the newer cameras have a 5 min lookback from the time the lights are hit.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
BWH2003 said:
Thats why I said here (indiana) the tapes are in lock boxes and only supervisors have the key.

Are you a L.E.O. in Indiana? If so please pm me with your ORI.

jshen

Established Member
Tapes

Officers here can run tape w/o lighting up if they choose to do so. One agency has a real slick setup....the officer has a microphone on his uniform...and a microphone in the rear of his car and can switch audio from officer to microphone in rear of car with a switch on his uniform. I love it when officers put dude, or better, two dudes, in rear of car, then the officer goes over the the stopped car getting information while taping the guys in the back of the patrol car. Jeez you can imagine what is said when they think officer can't hear them...

Last edited:

jshen

Established Member
And the idiots back there don't know it ....I love this biz...Of course they do come to realize it ...during the "discovery process".

Last edited:

Lawman85

Banned
jshen said:
And the idiots back there don't know it ....I love this biz...Of course they do come to realize it ...during the "discovery process".

isn't that entrapment????

:lol:
Sorry, no one else has said it yet in this thread so I thought I would toss it in.

We have the internal mics in our cars. I put to suspects in there one night when I knew they hid a gun from me. 10 minutes later I go back, review the tape with them sitting there, and then go get the gun that they talked about hiding..... sweet justice.

jshen

Established Member
Internal mic

That is so "slick"! I have been given so many "freebee" cases because of them...I wish every dept. had those. A while back, two guys crash...officer puts them in his back seat as he throught, given the circumstances, they were racing...Of course both denied knowing each other and racing but when officer comes back to car and plays his audio...seems guy#1 loaned his cell phone to guy#2 who calls his girlfriend to tell them them got busted for racing...and No one knew sh*t or had anything on them. Then one starts bragging to the other that his car kicked the other's butt.....Opps there goes another license...$1,000 fine...

94EMStang

Pride, Integrity & Guts
Established Member
Tapes

The one good thing my boss (the sheriff) did was put the Genisis camera system with built in radar (front & rear antennaes) in our new cars. It has the the wireless mic i carry in my front pocket that i can activate the recording (video & audio) at will. It also has the hidden rear mic. It is initially set up to start recording when the lights are activated, but i can activate it at any time with the wireless unit or by hitting record in the car. I guess i am lucky as to i am the only one with the key to the lock box of my recorder. It also has the protect mode on it where you can not tape over anything that has been already recorded. This system has saved my ass many times about people making up things that did not happen during a traffic stop. The look on their face is priceless when the Sheriff has them come in and informs them we will be watching the recording of the stop before any action is taken.
Needless to say they ( THE DUMB ASSES) want to forget about everything then.
policechase.gif

GH1086

Established Member
94EMStang said:
The one good thing my boss (the sheriff) did was put the Genisis camera system with built in radar (front & rear antennaes) in our new cars. It has the the wireless mic i carry in my front pocket that i can activate the recording (video & audio) at will. It also has the hidden rear mic. It is initially set up to start recording when the lights are activated, but i can activate it at any time with the wireless unit or by hitting record in the car. I guess i am lucky as to i am the only one with the key to the lock box of my recorder. It also has the protect mode on it where you can not tape over anything that has been already recorded. This system has saved my ass many times about people making up things that did not happen during a traffic stop. The look on their face is priceless when the Sheriff has them come in and informs them we will be watching the recording of the stop before any action is taken.
Needless to say they ( THE DUMB ASSES) want to forget about everything then.
policechase.gif

I believe that is the same company radar my dept. uses, it can be turned on whenever they want and records both in the car and from the wireless mic put wherever, usually in a front pocket. We don't have any lock boxes for the tapes though.

Lawman85

Banned
GH1086 said:
I believe that is the same company radar my dept. uses, it can be turned on whenever they want and records both in the car and from the wireless mic put wherever, usually in a front pocket. We don't have any lock boxes for the tapes though.

We use the eyewitness camera systems. We have a pouch on our belts for the recorders.

Users who are viewing this thread