is swapping pistons best option?

acatalon

Established Member
Last weekend I made 4passes at the track within an hour, when I got it home(trailered) I fired it up and heard a knocking sound....the noise subsided as it warmed up. I took the care to 3 reputable mechanics that agreed it sounded like the piston skirts were the culprit. I removed the passenger side valve cover (thats where the noise is coming from)and every thing looks normal. If Ii pull the coil on number 2 cylinder the noise lessens. Therefore I assume there is a problem with that cylinder. I am torn between tearing down and inspecting the pistons or ordering a built short block.....I would have to order a $700 set of pistons, gaskets and removal/replacetime OR just change the shortblock and be done with it...any suggestions.

acatalon

Established Member
On average is the block damaged when the #2 knocks, or is it just by choice that the blocks are getting bored .010 to .02 over?

Last edited:

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
I would have to believe it would be cheaper to rebuild your own engine than order a new short block. Seems like what lots of guys do is bore it 0.020" over, put in new pistons and bolts, and are done with it. (Obviously your engine builder can check out everything else while they're at it, too.) That's my 0.02.

When you get it apart please go here and fill in your info.
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/...a/summary-of-blown-engines-12489-3.html?pp=30

Thanks and good luck!

acatalon

Established Member
I'd like to hear drom the guys that have changed pistons, did the process go ok? are u satisfied with the outcome, or wish you would have done it differently?

WDW MKR

Established Member
You can't just swap pistons. The block will at least need to be cleaned up. If you're already going to the trouble, the best thing is to go 0.020" over and order the pistons to fit. Each cylinder will then need to be honed for each specific piston. Purchasing a new shortblock can be as cheap or even better when you have a solid stocker to sell. In your case, you wouldn't get good money for a damaged stocker, so I would just rebuild what you have if you're not planning on going aluminum.

svtnos1011

STRIKE FIRST, STRIKE HARD
Established Member
you should do more then just pistons if you are going to tear her down. get some kick ass rods too:coolman:

WDW MKR

Established Member
svtnos1011 said:
you should do more then just pistons if you are going to tear her down. get some kick ass rods too:coolman:

Stock rods are fine to 750rwhp and above if you run good bolts (i.e. ARP2000). I don't know that anyone has truely broken a Manley h-beam by exceeding its power limits. Many of them are used over 1000rwhp, though not at high-RPM.

svtnos1011

Established Member
WDW MKR said:
Stock rods are fine to 750rwhp and above if you run good bolts (i.e. ARP2000). I don't know that anyone has truely broken a Manley h-beam by exceeding its power limits. Many of them are used over 1000rwhp, though not at high-RPM.
every engine builder i talked to said it wouldnt be smart to re-use the rods, im no expert so im just repeating what i was told:shrug:

i want to upgrade my pistons too, but i was told i should change the rods too. id rather save the money no doubt, but i dono:shrug:

WDW MKR

Established Member
The stock rods are exactly what most builders use in a new built shortblock for these cars. If you want better, you have to step up to the billet I-beams ($$). The only reason for a car under 800rwhp to swap out the stock rods would be if they find them damaged upon removal. What builders have you talked to?

There are many great threads on this topic. Just do a search and you'll find tons of info, including input from great builders like VT.

svtnos1011

Established Member
WDW MKR said:
The stock rods are exactly what most builders use in a new built shortblock for these cars. If you want better, you have to step up to the billet I-beams ($$). The only reason for a car under 800rwhp to swap out the stock rods would be if they find them damaged upon removal. What builders have you talked to?

There are many great threads on this topic. Just do a search and you'll find tons of info, including input from great builders like VT.
well sounds to me like i will be just buying some new pistons:coolman: too bad christmas is coming up, maybe i should dump the GF to save myself money for mods, and then after xmas take her back:rolleyes:

acatalon

Established Member
Well the jury is still out on the damage...waiting on quotes for work..1 guy is a modular
mech and works at a dealership and assembles 32 valve motors all day and the other runs a mechanic's shop and often builds racing engines. I think we will rebuild the bottom end and change both heads. my drivers side was changes 2years ago, but there is a revised 05 version now . The choice I'd like to go with piston wise are diamonds with 17 cc dish and stainless rings, stock crank new oil pump, stock rods.

Users who are viewing this thread