Is Red GT500 with White Stripes a classic shelby color?

Eleanor14

Established Member
I heard someone having a conversation about this and thought the forum is the best place to ask. Is Red GT500 with White Stripes a classic shelby color?

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I would say the most iconic/classic color combos for the Shelby's is white with blue stripes and blue with white stripes, red with white stripes was popular back in the day, idk maybe to some it is classic.

Teddy O

Established Member
In my opinion, I'd have to say no. When I think of a classic Shelby, I think of blue with white stripes.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It really depends on how you pronounce "Potato".

If you pronounce it "poe-tae-toe", then yes.

If you pronounce it "puh-tae-tuh", then no.

ryan319

Established Member
Blue/White - yes
White/blue - yes

And I also think that SGM has become a classic or iconic color more recently, especially after Eleanor. Red/white not so much.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
65s were all white w/blue stripes. This is the classic Shelby Mustang color.

Many associate blue w/white stripes with Shelby but that is from the Cobra Roadster and Daytonas.

Blue w/white arrived in 66 along with red w/white, green w/white and black w/gold. There were also a few gold striped blue, white, red and green for hertz.

Tom

Last edited:

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
The only real color scheme from the 60's was white w/blue stripes.
Only the Turd, and a couple of other Cobras were Blue w/white stripes.

E

Eleanor14

Established Member
if it was good enough for Carroll himself, it's good enough for me: http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...ELBY-GT500-CONVERTIBLE-CARROLL-SHELBYS-178452

The Red with white stripes looks fantastic. I was leaning towards White/Blue, but I think I've changed my mind to Red/White. The rear of the 13/14 GT500 looks Fantastic on the Red/White cars. Just my opinion, but I think it's because the red blends in with the bottom red marker lights and 3rd brake light, giving the rear a cleaner look. The stripe also looks like it's in the red instead of over it. The problem with the GT500 is that the damn car looks great in every color.

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
I never thought of a color when I talked about an Iconic car, well... besides Red corvettes and Ferraris.

03reptile

Established Member
White is the correct classic color for the Shelby's. As said, all 1965's (the first year) were Wimbledon white, additional colors were added to the 1966 line-up. Surprisingly, many 1965's were sent to the dealers w/o Le Mans stripes. My college roommate's Shelby was white with no stripes other than the lower (rocker panel) horizontal Guardsman blue stripe depicting "GT350".

Last edited:

bluediamond

13 Shelby aka El Diablo
Established Member
Just FYI all 1965 Shelby GT350's were white/blue.
Beginning in 1966 other colors were added including red, green and black.
Im sure most people consider white /blue the predominant classic Shelby color.
But Im sure you would feel differently if you owned a red, green or black 1969 GT500.

mikejaeggi

Established Member
The Red with white stripes looks fantastic. I was leaning towards White/Blue, but I think I've changed my mind to Red/White. The rear of the 13/14 GT500 looks Fantastic on the Red/White cars. Just my opinion, but I think it's because the red blends in with the bottom red marker lights and 3rd brake light, giving the rear a cleaner look. The stripe also looks like it's in the red instead of over it. The problem with the GT500 is that the damn car looks great in every color.

i agree, I like the way the black center piece contrasts the red and white:View attachment 36903

Ky GT500

Established Member
Nah,,,,Sterling Grey with black stripes,,,classic Shelby color!!!

Really,,,they are all classic,,,they're Shelbys!!!

But when I think early Shelbys,,,,,white with blue stripes.

Users who are viewing this thread