Is Porting '98 Intake Worth It?

maliclipse

Enormous Member
Established Member
Not if its the only thing you do.

If you dig around there is an article in a MM&FF or 5.0 Mustang about a PHP Intake Stage II (http://www.paulshp.com). The article claimed that with their inlet (cai), TB, and IMRC deletes they got 30rwhp in the 4000-6000 rpm range without sacrificing torque down below, i think his car was lightly modded or even stock.

To really take advantage of an intake like that I'd recommend P/P Heads with stage II cams, coupled with full exhaust a good fuel system (one that doesn't freak out past 5500rpm) you could really put some power down to the wheels - stroke it to 5.0-5.3 and you'd be in 380rwhp/tq range with a good tune.

I was going to get a blower for my motor but after talking to a few shops my motor (despite having all mobil 1 syn changes) has 99992 (8 mi to go) as of today and probably wouldn't last very long the way I drive it. I'm going to build a 5.0 stroker with P/P heads, stock compression, fordged everything, the PHP intake, exhaust - get my 350-380 hp (should be fun with the way my car is setup now) then boost it later - safest route for me.

1998Venom

Established Member
Thanks Michal.

I'm thinking the same as you - stroker versus power adder!

Keep us posted as to your project, and document what you can - I'm very interested in how it turns out. Are you going to use PHP's products?

maliclipse

Enormous Member
Established Member
Yep I plan on getting pauls intake & imrc deletes. I'm going to get the TB from someone else for 100$ less (his is overpriced), and I'm going to figure out which cai to use (they're all the same to me) what I want to do is be able to retain my strut tower brace.

I'm trying to decide who has the best stroker / longblock combo. I really like VT's setup 8000$ for a longblock thats fully forged, ported, with billet cams - but I don't like the fact that they're not local to me. There's a speedshop in my neighborhood called XMP (they've built a lot of cool cars) and they use Houston Performance stroker cranks, CP pistons, eagle rods (same as vt almost) and they're in the same price range and do a lot of the work in house. They're cool to and offered me a layaway plan by putting deposits on the various components.

I bet I could get into the 300rwhp range with stock exhaust if I did the heads cams & intake with a good tune. That would be a great place to start, then get the stroker block a few months later. As it is my car is really quick with the T56 & 410s (100% stock engine/exhaust). We'll see, everything costs money. :)

M

TruckerPhoenix

Established Member
There's a guy on corral who just ported and shortened the runners on his own intake and picked up quite a bit. You'll benefit the most when you combine it with a tune. The idea is, it makes your power till 7k, usually in the range of 300+ whp with supporting mods. The typical powerband begins to drop off after 6k, with the short runner intake it climbs to 7k.

All in all it's definatly a worthwhile mod.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
the power drop off on the stock motors is due to the stock intake ;) Shortening the runners allows it to pull harder up top and pull further.

The intake on these cars is what's holding the motor back, end of story. If you want to do it right, get a sheetmetal intake or an individual runner intake :p

97whitecobra

Established Member
I did it and posted a long story a while back. Lots of money and a slower 1/4 mile is MY experience. Good luck

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Originally posted by 97whitecobra
I did it and posted a long story a while back. Lots of money and a slower 1/4 mile is MY experience. Good luck

You're the guy that had a real bad time with PHP, aren't you? I remember that...

maliclipse

Enormous Member
Established Member
Found an interesting website for you guys... guy goes into detail about the various ported intakes for our cars, lots of dyno / comparison info:

http://home.flash.net/~ivc1/cobra/

http://home.flash.net/~ivc1/cobra/phpcomp.html

I've spent a few more hours looking at this kind of stuff today, also went to talk to a few speed shops and thats pretty much the way I'm going to go. 5.0 stroker, CNC ported Heads with Cams, PHP Stage II intake, all the inlet upgrades, exhaust, should get me 350rwhp easy. With the T56 and 410s that I already have it'll be fun to drive til I save up for a blower.

M

Users who are viewing this thread