is my intercooler pump going out?

chipmonk

Established Member
So I just finished a blower swap on my car and I've been trying to burp the intercooler system and it's giving me all kinds of issues.i think I have finally got the coolant to flow but my pump is acting funny. I have pulled the relay and am jumping it but sometimes the pump just stops working when I'm jumping it. Fuse is fine and I'll walk away for about 20 minutes and come back and it works again. Is it going bad or is this normal?

hotford

Established Member
time for a pump...mine started to loose its prim, once it was on it was ok, but when i restarted the car nothing.......just replace it and you should be good to go.

They don't stay pumping very strong for long.

I've never jumped the pump with the relay method guys seem to use.

If I couldn't get the flow going by wrapping a towel around the ic tank opening and blowing into it, while the car idled...I would just take it around the block and drop the hammer real quick and within 15-20 sec. it would start pumping.

chipmonk

Established Member
I tapped it with a hammer and it seems to be working fine now, I'm going to keep an eye on it and if it goes out completely replace it. Anyone know a place to get them cheapish?

Blueline

Established Member
I tapped it with a hammer and it seems to be working fine now, I'm going to keep an eye on it and if it goes out completely replace it. Anyone know a place to get them cheapish?

If you tapped it and it kicked back on shes on the way out. Its gonna quit and your IAT2 temps are goign to sky rocket and your car is going to run like ass with all the timing pulled out of it. You can pull the pump and clean out around the brushes, it will buy you some time, but you need to replace it.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Worst part is they arent cheap..

I would just call 1 of the 2 site vendors for ford parts..

autonation

steve @tf

both are great to deal with and cant beat the prices

You can get them for under $90 with free shipping off of Ebay. At least that's where I got my last 3.

And I wish you well if you decide to buy from a Ford dealer or Ford authorized parts dealer and paying the higher premium with their precious 1yr 12k warranty on Ford parts and trying to get a weak flowing pump warrantied by them. Been there and if it pumps, Ford calls that a properly functioning pump. lol

Might as well head on over to Ebay.

chipmonk

Established Member
Ebay it is! Lol, sucks I'm gunna have to pull the pump off 4ight after I got it burped but what can you do? Thanks for the input guys.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
somebody should figure out a brush-less motor pump that can work in place of the Ford pump. I bet the brushes in the motor wear out after time - and causes it to fail in the long run.

FWIW - swapping out the pumps is not that hard to do.

Here is a link that hopefully will show the search of a few threads showing how to change the Intercooler pump: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1655930

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
They don't stay pumping very strong for long.

I've never jumped the pump with the relay method guys seem to use.

If I couldn't get the flow going by wrapping a towel around the ic tank opening and blowing into it, while the car idled...I would just take it around the block and drop the hammer real quick and within 15-20 sec. it would start pumping.
How would going WOT help it pump?

somebody should figure out a brush-less motor pump that can work in place of the Ford pump. I bet the brushes in the motor wear out after time - and causes it to fail in the long run.

FWIW - swapping out the pumps is not that hard to do.

Here is a link that hopefully will show the search of a few threads showing how to change the Intercooler pump: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1655930
My lingenfelter varimax pump is brushless. Its pricey but drops in and pumps like crazy. Very Nice upgrade.

wckdvnm

Established Member
Or you could simply replace the brushes as I did with mine. Took me 10 minutes pumps really strong and fast now. Brushes are about $.25 at a hardware store lol. Rather do that then get a new one. Plus mine has been running 4K miles already and still spinning strong as ever

Last edited:
How would going WOT help it pump?

I have no idea, but its something I happened to discover due to extreme frustration of not being able to get a new pump to work in the past after filling the system.

And I should clarify that I was dropped the hammer for maybe 5-6 secs and after immediately pulling over I could see the ic tank fluid churning violently.

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
Or you could simply replace the brushes as I did with mine. Took me 10 minutes pumps really strong and fast now. Brushes are about $.25 at a hardware store lol. Rather do that then get a new one. Plus mine has been running 4K miles already and still spinning strong as ever

Can you post up steps or did you follow a how-to? I seem to remember a howto from a Lightning forum and it was nearly impossible to reassemble with the spring-mounted brushes.

Bigggy

Established Member
Pump most of the time, but sometimes also air pockets. Before I had change my pump, it would do that than start back up if I would hit it with a wrench.

chipmonk

Established Member
It seems to be running pretty well now, im going to keep and eye on it and see if it stops again. if it does ill probably just ebay one.

wckdvnm

Established Member
Can you post up steps or did you follow a how-to? I seem to remember a howto from a Lightning forum and it was nearly impossible to reassemble with the spring-mounted brushes.

I'm sure someone made a how-to on here but I neglected to make one when I did it like a big idiot. That is honestly the hardest part is getting the brushes placed back when putting the motor back together. I would have to have another then make a how to. It's the cost effective option in my opinion and if you are good it will last just as long as a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread