Is my 10th gonna get spanked by this?

SVT543of2003

Established Member
Gearing up for a drag day in a couple weeks.

I'm running a pullied vert making 454 to the wheels. full weight including a 280lb driver and lots of chrome/polished add ons, roll bar etc. I have the IRS bushings but not sure I'm gonna have them installed by that day. I'm also on the fence about an IRS diff brace as well.

my best is a 12.7 on the stock hockey pucks, but this time I'm running a 315 nitto. I'm forced to peddle out of the hole at 1500rpms.

Up against this for bragging rights:

purpose built 88 LX coupe with:

weight reduction and full cage
built 302 with aluminum heads
Eddie intake, ported lower, few other bolt ons
gears and pro-stars
Makes 310 to the wheels on the dyno.

Has a hook-up for spray, but no idea what shot...wet or dry and if he'll be spraying it. Off spray, he's done a 12.6 recently.

Questions are:

1. Him N/A to me blown....how close should it be? He's a good driver.
2. Him spraying to me blown. How bad will I be beat?
3. What RPMS should do I need to launch at to get a 1.6 60ft?
4. If I do the bushings and IRS brace, what RPMS am I good to launch at?
5. What speed and rpms do you guys shift at during the 1320 ft? What gear do you cross the line at?

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Is that 310 with the spray? cause if not you in trouble...

Assuming he's runnning a 75-100 shot, A 400whp fox should be good for a easy low 12 - high 11 on a sticky tire...

SVT543of2003

Established Member
Is that 310 with the spray? cause if not you in trouble...

Assuming he's runnning a 75-100 shot, A 400whp fox should be good for a easy low 12 - high 11 on a sticky tire...

yeah, the 310 is without spray. so, what do I need to beat this guy?

Funny, I'm the one that was telling him he's good for 11's but he's not yet driven it there and I know he's gonna add the bottle. If he's off spray, I think it would be damn close which makes for some real fun.

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
yeah, the 310 is without spray. so, what do I need to beat this guy?

Funny, I'm the one that was telling him he's good for 11's but he's not yet driven it there and I know he's gonna add the bottle. If he's off spray, I think it would be damn close which makes for some real fun.

Your gonna need at least 500+ whp to run with that fox on spray. Foxes are light and we are not especially verts.

Here is my buddies 318 whp GT with a 100 shot on top and this is not his best run either.
[ame="http://videos.streetfire.net/video/madmatt-at-castrol_172815.htm"]http://videos.streetfire.net/video/madmatt-at-castrol_172815.htm[/ame]

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Get the diff. brace if you're gonna run hard.
f**k, get the diff brace if you're gonna run at all.

SVT543of2003

Established Member
Yeah, him on spray vs. me is not a fair race period. my RWTQ is at 503. I'll try to get the diff brace installed by that day if I can. I can drive.....I just need to launch right.

Wikkd03

Established Member
Yeah, him on spray vs. me is not a fair race period. my RWTQ is at 503. I'll try to get the diff brace installed by that day if I can. I can drive.....I just need to launch right.

driving includes launching:-D

with his car being as light as it is and with the power its making on the nitrous he will be deep in the 11s if he can drive like you say.
my buddies coupe made 330ish to the wheels and he ran 11.6s@116 at that power level with no weight reduction

Wikkd03

Established Member
also a 1.6 60 ft is gonna be hard to do if you dont have some serious suspension work...especially being on a 17" DR

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Pretty close to even with the weight difference. With nos, your dead meat. That's assuming he can drive.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm also on the fence about an IRS diff brace as well.
No need to be on the fence; many, many people shattered the diff cover early on with these cars.

Yeah on the spray you've got trouble. Off the spray I think you'll pull him on top end.

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
Id say your dead right off the bat. I have ran a fox with almost the same setup your describing and that ****er was sick.. I hung neck and neck on a roll, but from a dig its over. If your running at the track he is going to launch so hard on you its going to be ridicules. Its purpose built, so that says it all.

However good luck.

1. Him N/A to me blown....how close should it be? He's a good driver. Good Driver, I will say its going to be hard to beat him at all. What transmission is he running? Dont say an auto......
2. Him spraying to me blown. How bad will I be beat? Him spraying is going to be bad.
3. What RPMS should do I need to launch at to get a 1.6 60ft? 1.6 is going to be hard on nittos. You better lower the air pressure to 15psi ish, and hard launch around 3500.
4. If I do the bushings and IRS brace, what RPMS am I good to launch at? Honestly you need better tires.
5. What speed and rpms do you guys shift at during the 1320 ft? I usually shift 6200. What gear do you cross the line at? 4th if I can get it in, lol.

Last edited:

SVT543of2003

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll keep you guys posted and post the vid too. lol.

I'm really not sure if I can get the IRS brace installed in time....but I was also thinking that maybe I can catch him up top too.....He's running a stock T5 which I think he could wind up grenading if he launches at 4000+ rpms like he says.

Once my car gets going it's like a freight train. I do shift high around 6 grand...so just wondering if that was normal or if another way might be better suited to the quarter mile. I'll keep looking for drag racing calculators to see what's best.

Since I'm a once a year track guy, I'm not gonna run slicks or do all this work just to smoke the guy in one race. I mean.....I'm AM obsessive like that....but not worth it... we're just a bunch of friends having fun.....so knowing all this if I win it's a huge bonus considering the car I have vs. what he's running. He might miss a gear or so could I....who knows? The race I'm talking about here is not one of the "official" races for me....I just get a lot of guys wanting to call me out I can only assume cause I have a nice car and they want to brag that they owned me etc. I mostly do shown n' shines.

He says he's not gonna spray.....so I might have a chance. I'm done with NOS for now, ran it in my 94 vert....335 rwhp there, but couldn't even turn 12's in an stock AOD...the car was just too heavy. What I need is an 82 notch with a built motor and blower....those beat just about anything out there including Z06's...lol....but that's all they can brag about.

Offtopic: every time I come here and hit "new posts" this thread never comes up....I need to search it.....WTF is up with that? lol.

Jroc

Established Member
I would just like to say that I love Foxbodies. That is all. :)

Oh yeah, I await the vid. Have fun, and be safe. Should be a good race. I guess that wasn't all. :beer:

Last edited:

SVT543of2003

Established Member
So, yesterday was the day.

I didn't even run the fox, I would have got pwned hard anyway. He ran 12.10 all day.

I had a rough day, I ran into this issue just in time for my first pass.....

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389553&highlight=clutch+adjustment

Another Cobra owner helped me out since he had the same problem earlier in the week and I hadn't seen that thread yet.......So, I was putting up 13.0 yesterday and not happy at all. I did fix my wheel hop issue tho with 12psi in the nittos and a nice long burnout. No wheel hop at all. What I fixed in one area, I screwed up in another. Still learning the car. I don't drive it enough. only 6500 miles.

For next year, I'm gonna do Kenny brown aluminum bushings, diff brace, an MGW shifter and see what she does, my only goal is an 11.99 but I need to learn how to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread