Is it wrong for me to feel this way?

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
I wrote this to post in a thread elsewhere on the board. I decided not to post it because maybe it was too heavy for the conversation, and because I honestly don't want to offend anyone.

I do not "look down" on those who choose to spend their money with the companies mentioned below. I can see the reasons some would do so. Is what I wrote below inappropriate? Does anyone else feel the way I do?

M&M's not for me!

I realize in this world of multi national corporations, many things can happen with companies that are not terribly wise and do not reflect well on the company. And certainly American car companies have made their share of mistakes with their resposibilities.

There is a lot of things that companies do that go unknown or unnoticed, so support goes to the wrong places sometimes because of lack of info.

But two companies I know about, that I will not spend my money with if I can help it are Mitsubishi and Mercedes. I know the bodies are cold, and maybe we should forgive, which I have.

However forgiveness and support are two different things.

Mitsubishi built a damn fine Aircraft in 1941 that is responsible for many lost American lives, and the burning of thousands of tons of American Steel. That Aircraft was known as the Japanese "Zero."

Mercedes? Well, Mr. Benz may have been a devil. He actually used Jewish Slave Labor during WWII to build his cars, trucks, and Airplane engines. That is dirty pool man. Directly profiting from the suffering of others.

I try to avoid products and companies whose past is awash with innocent blood, for whatever reason. Many of us on here pride ourselves for driving domestic for many different reasons. My intention is not to offend anyone, though some will be. I just want to make it cold and soberly clear why some of us choose domestic.

When I see a nice mercedes tearing down the road, I think, that is a very nice piece of machinery. But then I think...but Mercedes got to a place to be able to build such a machine through atrocity.

When I see an Evo being touted, I think what a fine job Mitsu did in building a low priced high performing car, but then that shouldn't suprise me considering they built the Zero out of wood, which sent many well built, and more expensive, American planes into the sea.

I just can't seperate the modern products from the companies' pasts.

Last edited:

yellowcobra98

i kind of see your point of view but dont you think what was done in the past should be just that HISTORY.if you think about it we came to this country and pushed the indians out,people were brought over from africa and made into slaves.

does this mean we shouldnt buy american vehicles?

i think as long as the profit from these companies isnt doing damage to someone or something today than we shouldnt persecute someone or something for what there ancesteres did in the past

Sailing2Smth

Smooth Ass Sailor
Established Member
I see your point Copperhead, but thats in the past. I am sure that many American companies have done some sort of dirty deed to get ahead in life. A deed that is driven by greed and power. Something that Americams everywhere are guilty of.

But dont hold what they did years ago against them, IMO....but to each his own I guess.

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
What you are saying is we have never made any bombs or fighter planes that have taken out foreign steel.

I agree with you sticking to your guns. Each and every person is unique because of their beliefs. Some don't know what to believe and follow others like lemmings. Others develop their own voice.

I don't think you are wrong for doing what you believe.

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
I'm not persecuting them. I'm just not supporting them.

If an American car company took part in the slaughter of Indians, or profitted from Black Slave labor, I wouldn't buy their product either.

But I know what you're saying. At some point, the past is the past...but when? Do the companies have to apologize first. I don't know.

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
Certainly we have made weapons! But never in our history has our entire society mobilized for a War of Aggression.

When our companies built weapons, they expected that they would not be for nationalistic expansion and empire building.

Mitsu knew what they were building Zeroes for. Japan's whole society did. Again, I don't bash them and I have forgiven them. I just don't spend my money with them.

But I do agree that to each his own, and so I don't want to preach on subjects such as these. I just want to know the alternate views. And I appreciate the sentiment from all of you!

Sinister Angel

Buh Bye !
Agreed with 03GREYBOLT. Going on your theory, we should be punishing kids and grandkids of murderers just because they are related. On the other hand, I can see myself as a hypocrite in the fact that I wouldn't have a problem flying over to that shithole somalia and cleaning them out like a 3000 hour old diesel piston that was running rich. On the other hand, somalia was a mere 11 years ago.

100th96cobra

Mitsubishi didnt choose to do it on their own...living in a society when you have to think and do what your told, im sure they probably didnt have much of a choice

ssssnake

Established Member
Derrick - don't apologize. You spend your money where you CHOOSE to spend it. If others want to give their money to foreign businesses, so be it. I feel the same way you do. I tend to get a lot more pickier too. I don't give my money to American businesses who donate to causes I don't believe in either. I damn sure don't buy Tyson chicken. LOL The businesses might not know how I feel, but it's my personal statement and I'm happy.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Copperhead
Mercedes? Well, Mr. Benz may have been a devil. He actually used Jewish Slave Labor during WWII to build his cars, trucks, and Airplane engines. That is dirty pool man. Directly profiting from the suffering of others.

Then you better not like Volkswagen for the same reason.

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

SVTHorsnake

Banned
I guess you hate Ford then too? Do some research on Henry Ford and let me know what you find...

open your eyes, there shit on everybody:rollseyes

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Originally posted by wally9404
i dont buy tyson either,are shop at walmart, glad there is other americans who feel the same way.

So what did Tyson or Wal-Mart ever do? Personally, I spend my money where I will get the most value for my dollar, regardless.

U.M.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
I just can't seperate the modern products from the companies' pasts.

Allright then, do not purchase another product in your life again because you "just can't" seem to figure out the difference between a wartime company and a modern company.

Don't buy Ford products; they use parts made in Mexico, who killed people at the Alamo.....

Canada too! Man, we invaded them during the Revolutionary War and they kicked our asses back to the States....

One great big giant :rolleyes: for you.

ssssnake

Established Member
Guys, it's all personal choice where someone wants to spend their money. If he doesn't want to give his money to some business, that's his perogative. He shouldn't down someone that chooses to put their money in a business he doesn't - and I think he said he doesn't do that. So what's the big deal? Different strokes for different folks.

Oh, Tyson Chicken? Owner is a BIG buddy of Bill Clinton. I don't know what is about Wal-Mart - unless it's because they're from Arkansas. Now I'm not gonna go research every company, but I damn sure won't give them my money if I KNOW what they support.

Liv4Spd

Established Member
If an American car company took part in the slaughter of Indians, or profitted from Black Slave labor, I wouldn't buy their product either.

One word......COTTON :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread