Is it worth upgrading vortech aftercooler set up?

SVT69

nWo 4 Life
Established Member
Is it worth upgrading the heat exchanger that comes with the vortech aftercooler kit for 96-04 cars to a bigger dual pass heat exchanger (afco, lfp etc) that the 03/04 cobras use? Is there any benefit at boost levels between 8-10 psi on a stock motor?

robvas

Established Member
Doesn't seem like it would hurt it at all. Is there a way you can measure the temperature of the water leaving the Vortech heat exchanger (and the larger heat exchanger, when you install it) so you can get some data?

If the water temp is a lot higher than ambient air with the current heat exchanger, it should be an improvement to put a bigger one in.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
can you monitor air temps post aftercooler? If so I'd log those and see what they look like to figure out if anything needs to be changed

trueblue03gt

Established Member
The nice thing about an A/W system compared to an A/A system is that a bigger intercooler can't hurt anything besides add a lil nose weight. I'm not sure how the Cobra heat exchangers are mounted, they might be mounted differently, but either way I'm sure you can find something that'll fit in there, plenty sell A/W exchangers.

Users who are viewing this thread