Is it true, the 2104 model is on a new platform?

Z_Rocks

Established Member
Hey guys, my first post here.

I was watching this video from LA Auto Show and the guy said the 2013 GT500 will be the last one on the current platform and the new platform (which I believe he was referring to IRS platform). Has anyone heard this?

I'm pretty sure the engine will move over, but the suspension will be new.

Thanks!

evolve

Established Member
If so I am sure it will be refined from the 03-04 Cobra. Curious about their plans.

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
Is the IRS confirmed? Can you give a source on that?

IIRC correctly, Ford said that the next mustang will have some type of international influence. I don't remember where I read it, so take this post with a grain of salt.

1hot281

Established Member
If so I am sure it will be refined from the 03-04 Cobra. Curious about their plans.

I'm betting the new chassis will release in early 2014 as a 2014 1/2 model... exactly 50 years from the date of the first 1964 1/2 Mustang

I'm not so sure about the suspension being refined from the Cobra... the 99, 01, and 03/04 Cobra IRS was a band-aid/afterthought... just a bolt-in replacement for the solid axle in a chassis that hadn't changed much since 1979. The new Mustang is supposed to be a world car. With refinements to size and weight as well as suspension sophistication to help make it competitive in european and asian markets.

If you look at a rendering Ford posted on their Mustang Facebook page

26824_440855924568_20901384568_5349720_226440_n.gif

and compare the profile to the Ford Evos concept

fordevosconcept_14.gif

The EVos is more of a tester i think... to see how the world would receive it's styling... but i think we're looking at many of the key design components of what will be the new 2014/15 Mustang

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
it was originally planned for the next gen 'stang to show up as a 2014MY, but that's since been pushed back to 2015. it was also supposed to show up on the brand new Global RWD platform, but ford of american and ford of australia kept fighting over who got to engineer it so that's been canceled.
now the latest i've heard is that it's gonna show up on a redesigned S197 platform with mixed reports on whether it's keeping the stick in the rear or getting an IRS(the latter of which was a 100% in the original GRWD platform plans).
this is couple month old info too though, so things might've changed recently.

I'm betting the new chassis will release in early 2014 as a 2014 1/2 model... exactly 50 years from the date of the first 1964 1/2 Mustang
it's been confirmed by J mays that the next 'stang will be a 2015 model, but 2014 will be a short model year.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Been seeing that EVOs platform for a while and don't really care for it frankly but I've been wondering where they'd go after they wore out the retro thing. I do hope they finally come up w/ an integrated IRS though.

Good call on the 50th Anniversary!

Last edited:

Z_Rocks

Established Member
Thanks guys. But my subtle point was that, if a new platform is coming in 2014, then would it make sense to buy in the last platform? It will certainly depreciate hugely, as soon as the new MY shows up.

I'm pretty sure the ZL1 will have same fate as for the engine goes, since as of 2014 a New LS will be introduced, but the body might remain the same, and the mustang perhaps keeps/improves on the current engine but the framework will change.

So, I think it's risky to buy either one. Does it make sense? Either one will be $60K out the door and I say, shouldn't I wait till 2014?

Thanks!

heatsoaked12

Established Member
With the Taurus being all wheel drive,as well as employing Eco boost I'm pretty sure its parts will be moved over to the newer Mustang.

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
Thanks guys. But my subtle point was that, if a new platform is coming in 2014, then would it make sense to buy in the last platform? It will certainly depreciate hugely, as soon as the new MY shows up.

I'm pretty sure the ZL1 will have same fate as for the engine goes, since as of 2014 a New LS will be introduced, but the body might remain the same, and the mustang perhaps keeps/improves on the current engine but the framework will change.

So, I think it's risky to buy either one. Does it make sense? Either one will be $60K out the door and I say, shouldn't I wait till 2014?

Thanks!

Every car company is going to make a better car each model year. Sometimes there is a little change and sometimes a big change.

A new car is no investment, period, it is a depreciating asset.
I spend a buck a mile driving my F430.

Heck the current 2012 is a screaming deal right now and anyone who buys one now is smart in my mind.

I must admit I was not thinking Ford at all until the 2013 GT500 was announced and now I can't wait to get it and could give two craps what the next model is going to be.

If you have the money now, waiting is silly, this car is dead nutz on!!!!!!!!!!!……….Steve

Last edited:

Z_Rocks

Established Member
Every car company is going to make a better car each model year. Sometimes there is a little change and sometimes a big change.

A new car is no investment, period, it is a depreciating asset.
I spend a buck a mile driving my F430.

Heck the current 2012 is a screaming deal right now and anyone who buys one now is smart in my mind.

I must admit I was not thinking Ford at all until the 2013 GT500 was announced and now I can't wait to get it and could give two craps what the next model is going to be.

If you have the money now, waiting is silly, this car is dead nutz on!!!!!!!!!!!……….Steve

I do agree with your fundamental points but this change is huge. I was very set to get the 2013 until I heard the news. I bought a Corvette in 2004 and 2005, C6 came out and suddenly my car looked like an old car. I went through this slap on the face once... :??:

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
I do agree with your fundamental points but this change is huge. I was very set to get the 2013 until I heard the news. I bought a Corvette in 2004 and 2005, C6 came out and suddenly my car looked like an old car. I went through this slap on the face once... :??:

If what you have now is fun and you are not in a hurry, then of course you can wait. But the new model is a couple of years away and who knows what it will be like.

I am sure it will be different, but may or may not be more fun. I don't know how long the HP wars will last, so I am OK with locking in on the 2013.

I will have two years of ownership that you can't put a price on while waiting for the next gen car......Good Luck and have fun......Steve

Z_Rocks

Established Member
If what you have now is fun and you are not in a hurry, then of course you can wait. But the new model is a couple of years away and who knows what it will be like.

I am sure it will be different, but may or may not be more fun. I don't know how long the HP wars will last, so I am OK with locking in on the 2013.

I will have two years of ownership that you can't put a price on while waiting for the next gen car......Good Luck and have fun......Steve

Good points Steve! Much appreciated!

I wonder how people react when they see/hear your beautiful Yellow Ferrari. :beer:

Z_Rocks

Established Member

Good points Steve! Much appreciated!

I wonder how people react when they see/hear your beautiful Yellow Ferrari in Iowa? :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread