Is it too much of a gamble...

vulk

Established Member
to get a used Termy? Ive had owned many used cars (including 3 GTs) that I have had a problems with before. On the other hand I bought a brand new C6 and that had the tranny rebuilt at 3k, 6k and 10k, then finally lemoned it. I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys who had bought used Terminators. Have you had any regrets as to buying a used S/C vehicle?

I guess Im torn between (and i know this sound stupid to you guys who cherish the cobra, and I really do understand..) the new GT's and the Termys because of the fit and finish of the GT (not to mention I have been driving in the same kind of interior since I received my license when I was 15). If the Termy had a warranty, do you think it would be worth it? I know a lot of these cars are abused, and on the contrary I know there are some out there which are babied. I drove my friends 07 GT and compared it to my old 04 GT and the difference was night and day. I cant imagine a much better fit n finish on the Cobra. But the Cobra is just a BEAST. What do you guys think I should do? Worth the risk and the poorer fit n finish?

CobraKraiger

Know Not Anxiety Or Fear
Established Member
I really doubt finding one with a warranty will do you any good, as you will more than likely end up modding it yourself and void it. If I were going after a used one, I would find one with extremely low miles and one that was still bone stock. As far as the GT goes, I'm not a fan. Just not fast enough for my taste, and I don't like the interior at all. I say find a nice used C5Z06, but I'm biased.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
I love my interior
Best looking Mustang ever
Best sounding Mustang ever
Amazing performance
Insaine power
Yes that is all opinionated and strictly biased

There are a ton of stock Cobras around, maybe not on the forums, but I can gurantee you there are many stock Cobras for sale. Spend a bit more money and find one with low miles. Take your time and find what you want, I gurantee you that you will not be disappointed.

:beer:

vulk

Established Member
I really doubt finding one with a warranty will do you any good, as you will more than likely end up modding it yourself and void it. If I were going after a used one, I would find one with extremely low miles and one that was still bone stock. As far as the GT goes, I'm not a fan. Just not fast enough for my taste, and I don't like the interior at all. I say find a nice used C5Z06, but I'm biased.

Most definately I would mod it myself. But the thing that I love about the Cobra is that it is pretty easy to bring back to stock form.

I love my interior
Best looking Mustang ever
Best sounding Mustang ever
Amazing performance
Insaine power
Yes that is all opinionated and strictly biased

There are a ton of stock Cobras around, maybe not on the forums, but I can gurantee you there are many stock Cobras for sale. Spend a bit more money and find one with low miles. Take your time and find what you want, I gurantee you that you will not be disappointed.

:beer:

I very much have to agree with you. That car is just pure sex. Put 5-8 grand in it and your eating c6z's. I know about the tick on the early build 2003 cobras, but are any other mechanical issues or major TSB's with these cars?

Last edited:

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Yeah, many issues, things break, stuff happens

The tick is not common and can happen to 04s as well

There have been many lists of common problems on here, i'm sure the search button will grab a few of them.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I found mine pretty much bone stock and it's held up great...love it

Qwk GT

Established Member
I think if you actually find one that's stock, and you don't beat the snot out of it, you should be ok. The main thing I was worried about was people returning them to stock and not telling me. I ended up getting one from a stealership, they even called up the previous owner and let me talk to him. Claimed no mods, figured he had no reason to lie to me as it wasn't his car anymore. Ended up neg a warranty w/it just in case. Although, kind of sucks cause I'm worried about voiding the warranty now. ( I want mods dammit.)

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
I bought mine modded no problems. Just got to find the right car. + a little luck.

xenodragon

Established Member
I dont think there are any real "problems" with our cars, just the normal stuff that happens to all cars. I have had zero problems with my car for 30,000 miles and I am not exactly nice to it.

Actually the only issue I have with my car is when I go in reverse, specifically up or down a slope there is kind of a popping noise. Had it in the dealership many many times, they cant fix the problem. I showed them the TSB out on it, and it didnt fix it...so i just live with it, not the biggest deal just an annoyance.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Do your research on the car you're buying and you shouldn't have any problems.

Adltdrvn

Established Member
Buy an 08 GT for a nice fit and finish. Then throw a Whipple, KB, or Saleen blower on there to try to hang with pullied cobras. But keep checking your rear view mirror. You may see your rods and bearings trailing behind you after you window the block.

1stockgt

Established Member
I got my Cobra from a Ford dealership in NC about 3 or 4 months ago. When I got it Ford was offering a 6 year 100000 mile power train warranty for vehicles that fit there criteria, and it came with there 3 month 3000 mile bumper to bumper. The 6year 100000 mile warranty has a $100 deductable.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
To answer your question "is it a gamble". yes it is a gamble buying used with no warranty an especially if it has been modded. IF you are financially stable to take care of any repairs than go for it becuase it is a great car and fun to own. BUt if the sh.t hits the fan tan its gonna be very pricey especially if your making payments on it and not own it outright. If this is a concern than walk away from it. Also, if you have a warranty, make sure that if it is already modded that they know about it so they dont try not honor it saying you pullied it, etc.

Last edited:

Tractionless1

Established Member
A stock late '04 with a cooling mod. would be the one you are looking for with a clean Carfax report, but that probably isn't going to happen. You can take your chances with another one if it has '05 heads or a cooling mod, but I'd stay away from '03's. I bought my car with very little knowledge compared to what I know now and it was alittle bit of a pain. It had none of the insurance/maintenance mods. but on the other hand they are VERY tough cars and can take a bit of a beating before letting loose.

Mine has been just fine and there are no signs of damage from it not having subframe connectors, IRS cover, BAP, or cooling mod for 21k miles, the tune was subject too.

Last edited:

BlownReptile

Established Member
If you really want an 03/04 Cobra, theres some out there unmodded with really low miles. Do some research on this forum on what to look for to tell if a Cobra has been modded and returned to stock. If you do enough homework on the car, you should be fine.

The interior is not as nice as the new GTs I guess, but I don't mind it at all. I came from a 2006 GTO, and its interior makes the new mustangs' look like shit. Every other aspect of the Cobra is just miles ahead of those two cars.

Coming from a vette, I seriously doubt a GT is going to satisfy you....and About2Bite is right, the 03/04 Cobras really are the best looking Mustangs ever, IMO.

Tractionless1

Established Member
IMHO the '05 up 'Stang interior including Shelby GT500's resemble the finest SEDAN interiors. Boring and the throw back 100x too big gauges are disgusting. Too much bulk all around on those cars inside and out.

DarkSnake

03 DSG Cobra
Established Member
If you buy one that is already modded you will get more for your money. A lot of the "stock" cobras have been modded, then returned to stock for sale.

The main key to buying a used car is to buy a car with a documented history of maintenance. These cars have much better driveline and other components than GT's so generally will outlast them no problem. I would have no problem buying a cobra that was modded and had 100+ passes on it as long as the maintenance was done and the car was modded to my general taste.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread