Is it possible to add amplifier and subwoofer to a non shaker pro car?

Eleanor14

Established Member
Might be a stupid question, but I'm wondering if the Shaker pro option from the factory is just an additional amp and subwoofer or is it a different system with multiple upgrades? I'm looking for a car and want the shaker pro as I've had it before and love the sound, but if I find a car that does not have the shaker pro, I'm wondering how hard it would be to get the sound upgraded to be like the shaker pro system. I don't want to change the original Stereo/Nav/Electronic package.

Dynobrat

Established Member
Yes you can. Yes it's the only difference (8 speakers vs 9 (sub) and additional amp.)

You can use a JL Stealthbox and aftermarket amp, or buy a factory Shaker sub and tap into the speaker lines as if it were any other sub and wire it to your aftermarket amp, all using an LC2i converter.

The factory speakers are cheap junk on ANY of the Shakers, even the 2014 cars. Better with the Shaker Pro but still not great. The sound is muffled at low volumes and highs are weak. (Typical Shaker) You can easily upgrade the door and rear deck speakers for not much money. A very popular option for the front door speakers are Infinity 6832cf. And for 2013-14 Shaker Pro owners all you need are the speaker brackets from a 05-12 car and they bolt right in. Part numbers are 4R3Z18B947AA (right) and 4R3Z18B947BA (left). There are other 6x8 speakers that are great also but the Infinitys are popular. I have them in my 2010 and they are much better than the factory paper speakers. The Shaker Pro door speakers have separate mid and tweeter for the fronts which is an improvement from the 05-12 front speakers but it's like anything else. It's crap and if you want it to be good you have to replace it with something better. From what I have read, the 13-14 cars with the non Shaker Pro they still use the 6x8's. From what I have read also, there's not much of an option for 13-14 Shaker Pro owners but to replace the factory composites with 6x8s using the brackets and metra speaker adapter harness. Either way its still inexpensive and worth changing them for better sound.

The gist of the story is you can seriously improve the sound of any Shaker system by simply replacing the speakers in the cabin and not even dealing with a sub. If all you want is pounding bass I guess a trunk mounted sub is what you're after.

Last edited:

Eleanor14

Established Member
Yes you can. Yes it's the only difference (8 speakers vs 9 (sub) and additional amp.)

You can use a JL Stealthbox and aftermarket amp, or buy a factory Shaker sub and tap into the speaker lines as if it were any other sub and wire it to your aftermarket amp, all using an LC2i converter.

The factory speakers are cheap junk on ANY of the Shakers, even the 2014 cars. Better with the Shaker Pro but still not great. The sound is muffled at low volumes and highs are weak. (Typical Shaker) You can easily upgrade the door and rear deck speakers for not much money. A very popular option for the front door speakers are Infinity 6832cf. And for 2013-14 Shaker Pro owners all you need are the speaker brackets from a 05-12 car and they bolt right in. Part numbers are 4R3Z18B947AA (right) and 4R3Z18B947BA (left). There are other 6x8 speakers that are great also but the Infinitys are popular. I have them in my 2010 and they are much better than the factory paper speakers. The Shaker Pro door speakers have separate mid and tweeter for the fronts which is an improvement from the 05-12 front speakers but it's like anything else. It's crap and if you want it to be good you have to replace it with something better. From what I have read, the 13-14 cars with the non Shaker Pro they still use the 6x8's. From what I have read also, there's not much of an option for 13-14 Shaker Pro owners but to replace the factory composites with 6x8s using the brackets and metra speaker adapter harness. Either way its still inexpensive and worth changing them for better sound.

The gist of the story is you can seriously improve the sound of any Shaker system by simply replacing the speakers in the cabin and not even dealing with a sub. If all you want is pounding bass I guess a trunk mounted sub is what you're after.

Great info. Thank you :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread