Is it ok to mix tranny fluid?

DjOrionXTR

Established Member
So, I got my car back this morning from a clutch job. I brought the shop a quart of GM Synchromech which is what i have in the tranny. they told me that they put 3 quarts of stock fluid and the rest GM synchromech. Will this be a problem?? Also, does a heavier flywheel cause some vibration at high rpm's?

SlowSVT

Established Member
Mixing oils is "gererally" OK but not something I would want in my car long term. There could be additives that are not compatable. When in doubt, change it out.

An "unbalanced" flywheel will cause vibration regardless of what it's made from.

DjOrionXTR

Established Member
Mixing oils is "gererally" OK but not something I would want in my car long term. There could be additives that are not compatable. When in doubt, change it out.

An "unbalanced" flywheel will cause vibration regardless of what it's made from.

ok, ill get it changed out when i have a chance.

unbalanced, meaning the actual flywheel not being balanced? Or the flywheel not being balanced out on crank? not experienced with this kind of stuff, thanks

SlowSVT

Established Member
ok, ill get it changed out when i have a chance.

unbalanced, meaning the actual flywheel not being balanced? Or the flywheel not being balanced out on crank? not experienced with this kind of stuff, thanks

The mod motor is internally balanced meaning the flywheel and harmonic balancer are not used to help balance the internal rotating assy (an external balanced engines requires the flywheel and harmonic balancer are used to balance the rotating assy like some of the old GM engines). The flywheel in your case must be independently balanced. Better get that fixed before it plays havoc with the engine bearings.

DjOrionXTR

Established Member
The mod motor is internally balanced meaning the flywheel and harmonic balancer are not used to help balance the internal rotating assy (an external balanced engines requires the flywheel and harmonic balancer are used to balance the rotating assy like some of the old GM engines). The flywheel in your case must be independently balanced. Better get that fixed before it plays havoc with the engine bearings.

Thank you for that information!! I wouldn't of thought about that extra vibration putting stress on the bearings unless someone said it. I'll park it for now and have it looked at after the holidays. All the shops around here are busy doing busy things right now.

DjOrionXTR

Established Member
sooooo..i went through my old parts and found the dowel pins that came with the new pressure plate bolts. Hmmmmm.... I wonder what they forgot to put??? this is ridiculous......i hope they own up to this. im pretty sure my TOB is on backwards too. clutch pedal feel like it having a seizure

SlowSVT

Established Member
sooooo..i went through my old parts and found the dowel pins that came with the new pressure plate bolts. Hmmmmm.... I wonder what they forgot to put??? this is ridiculous......i hope they own up to this. im pretty sure my TOB is on backwards too. clutch pedal feel like it having a seizure

They might have left the factory pins in there but if not could end up being a disaster :uh oh: should the FW bolts get sheered off from the movement against the PP.

Time to yank the gearbox which is not a bad job.

hotcobra03

Established Member
its storys like this that makes me glad i do my own work...

keep us posted on what happen when you bring it back

DjOrionXTR

Established Member
They might have left the factory pins in there but if not could end up being a disaster :uh oh: should the FW bolts get sheered off from the movement against the PP.

Time to yank the gearbox which is not a bad job.

the flywheel that had the backed out screw still has the pins in it and its on the floor in my room. i bought a brand new flywheel, a solid one, it came with no pins in it. I bought some new PP bolts from tousley, it came with the dowel pins in a little ziplock bag. The pins were left behind in the little bag.

SlowSVT

Established Member
What's a "solid" flywheel?

What ever you do at the end of the day there have better be location dowls in that FW. If the PP was loose and "moving around" best to replace the bolts just in case they were getting wacked everytime the clutch was engage/disengaged. That is one place you don't want a failure which could get real ugly

DjOrionXTR

Established Member
What's a "solid" flywheel?

What ever you do at the end of the day there have better be location dowls in that FW. If the PP was loose and "moving around" best to replace the bolts just in case they were getting wacked everytime the clutch was engage/disengaged. That is one place you don't want a failure which could get real ugly

solid, like not having a replaceable friction plate. good idea! im going to order some new ones tomorrow

SlowSVT

Established Member
solid, like not having a replaceable friction plate. good idea! im going to order some new ones tomorrow

That means a steel flywheel. The OEM flywheel weighs a scant 11 lbs :eek: A heavier FW will increase drag on the engine sapping more power from it and hurts engine breaking (rotating mass is your enemy). I would keep the weight here to a minimum. Fidenza makes a nice light weight flywheel with a replaceable steel friction surface.

DjOrionXTR

Established Member
That means a steel flywheel. The OEM flywheel weighs a scant 11 lbs :eek: A heavier FW will increase drag on the engine sapping more power from it and hurts engine breaking (rotating mass is your enemy). I would keep the weight here to a minimum. Fidenza makes a nice light weight flywheel with a replaceable steel friction surface.

I already got the billet steel FW. maybe next time

SlowSVT

Established Member
I already got the billet steel FW. maybe next time

If it's close to 30 lbs call the vender and tell him you screwed up (maybe he can exchange it). A 28 lbs flywheel probably soaks up between 20 - 30 hp (maybe more) to get the engine to redline. It diverts and stores energy you don't need which more or less gets wasted and hurts acceleration every time you step on the gas. A heavy flywheel is only needed in a car whose engine has a hard time overcoming inertia. The bottom-end torque a PD blown 4.6 produces needs no help in that department from a heavy flywheel and how.

Calling OEM unit a "flywheel" is almost a joke which to me is nothing more than a "ring gear support" plus the aluminum will wick heat off the clutch and PP like a sponge ........... Perfect! :rockon: This is one of the few items on my 4.6 that are being moved over to the Boss block.

Users who are viewing this thread