Is it necessary to go to the dyno or can I just use a canned tune...

YellowCobra04

Established Member
I am about to buy a predator tuner and I have a few questions for yall.

All I want out of the Predator is get a few extra horsepower/torque, and the ability to turn off my traction control.

My question to the forum is it unsafe to just use the canned tune without putting it on the dyno to make sure the A/F is not to lean.

My current mods are a K&N CAI, Bassani Catted X, and Borla Stingers. I have no plans to put a pulley on anywhere in the near future.

Thanks in advance

01GTvert

Established Member
I am about to buy a predator tuner and I have a few questions for yall.

All I want out of the Predator is get a few extra horsepower/torque, and the ability to turn off my traction control.

My question to the forum is it unsafe to just use the canned tune without putting it on the dyno to make sure the A/F is not to lean.

My current mods are a K&N CAI, Bassani Catted X, and Borla Stingers. I have no plans to put a pulley on anywhere in the near future.

Thanks in advance

Canned tune will be fine for your mods/goals. :beer:

YellowCobra04

Established Member
i agree for your mods its fine....how much you will pick up i dont know....btw id go with a sct but thats jmo

Why would you go with a SCT over the Predator?

I was looking at the for sale section and I can pick up a predator for $125 vs. $379 for a X3

I live and go to school about 10 miles from amazon tuning, and they will tune with a Predator if I ever decide to go with a pulley.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
You do need to get on a dyno to check your A/F. If that checks out, you're set! I would at least get it checked. Better safe than sorry

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
usually the canned tunes are uber rich and way safe on timing. The tune provided has to be way on the safe side to account for all the variables to be considered and to cover the companies ass because theres just no ****ing way the canned tune providers can account for everything.

if you do install the canned tune, the least you can do is run it on a dyno to see whats up. Most likely it will be crazy rich and lacking timing. If you are close to Amazon, id definitely recommend getting them to tune it altogether, and just run the canned tune to get to their shop or drive around beforehand.

Really with those mods you likely do not need a tune, just run it on the dyno and see if the a/f is good (11.5-12.0:1 being the leanest it should go) and go from there. Due to the safe nature of canned and mail-orders, you might actually lose power over stock fuel trims and timing curves.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Just have Rick @ Amazon write you a tune for your current mods. If you buy the tuner from them, it will be included free with the cost of the tuner, and have lifetime revisions for when you upgrade to different mods. Also if you live so close, just run it on the dyno right there to check it it out and make sure everything is optimal. I really wish I was close enough for that!

Romans8:28

Established Member
Just my two cents...

When I ran a "performance tune" (canned) with a stock pulley, my car leaned out quite a bit compared to stock. In fact it was slightly over 12 in the upper RPM ranges . This was with a K&N FIPK and a Borla Stinger catback

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
My Amazon tunes have been safe and consistant .IF I lived that close to Rick I would go straight to him. IMO.

Pock

It’s an addiction
Established Member
Just stop by Amazon and see what they'll do. They might check your A/F for like $100.00 and if you're good there is no need to buy a handheld until you decide to mod more...

03yellow

Established Member
+1 for your mods its fine.
I used a canned tune with my upper 2.80 and it was dead on. I would go to a custom tune when you start playong with a lower or fuel mods.
I would look at an upper pulley while you are at it! you wont be sorry and rick can write you a great tune.
You gotta get an upper at least....toooo much fun!!!

Just have Rick @ Amazon write you a tune for your current mods. If you buy the tuner from them, it will be included free with the cost of the tuner, and have lifetime revisions for when you upgrade to different mods. Also if you live so close, just run it on the dyno right there to check it it out and make sure everything is optimal. I really wish I was close enough for that!

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
lets keep one thing in mind.. these cars are now officially older models..if you have had the car since day one and know the history of it.. then you will be fine with a canned preditor tune
but with that being said of you dont then for your own peace of mind you should have the car completely checked out by someone who knows them very well.. get it checked for possible mechanical as well as AF issues..after all you want to preserve the longevity of the motor..

we sell 10 to 1 SCT over DS and if you get the tuner from us you get a free custom tune and life time free revisions for as long as you own the vehicle and stay with Rick as your tuner..
there is always extra HP to be had by getting a custom tune even with the mods you have..even though you have leaned it out with the mods on it now they come very fat from the factory so getting a custom tune will also not only help HP wise but also with fuel economy.. if you keep your foot out of it :)(I know thats hard enough) and since you bought the tuner from us if you add a pulley in the future.. we will revise the tune at no charge to you..(not including additional dyno tuning)

YellowCobra04

Established Member
lets keep one thing in mind.. these cars are now officially older models..if you have had the car since day one and know the history of it.. then you will be fine with a canned preditor tune
but with that being said of you dont then for your own peace of mind you should have the car completely checked out by someone who knows them very well.. get it checked for possible mechanical as well as AF issues..after all you want to preserve the longevity of the motor..

we sell 10 to 1 SCT over DS and if you get the tuner from us you get a free custom tune and life time free revisions for as long as you own the vehicle and stay with Rick as your tuner..
there is always extra HP to be had by getting a custom tune even with the mods you have..even though you have leaned it out with the mods on it now they come very fat from the factory so getting a custom tune will also not only help HP wise but also with fuel economy.. if you keep your foot out of it :)(I know thats hard enough) and since you bought the tuner from us if you add a pulley in the future.. we will revise the tune at no charge to you..(not including additional dyno tuning)

Well Linn and everyone, I think you have changed my mind. I will be buying a X3 from Amazon shortly and getting one of there custom tunes.

See you soon Linn... :thumbsup:

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
Why would you go with a SCT over the Predator?

I was looking at the for sale section and I can pick up a predator for $125 vs. $379 for a X3

I live and go to school about 10 miles from amazon tuning, and they will tune with a Predator if I ever decide to go with a pulley.

ok then go with diablo obviously it all depends on what your tuner uses mine personally used sct ONLY

Users who are viewing this thread