Is it me or do boosted Cobras seem to not last very long?

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
I know this is kind of vague but over the years I think I've read more disapointing stories about supercharging an sn95 cobra and having an issue than cobras with superchargers still running strong. Is it just me?

I'm in the middle of a huge decision, whether to buy a local SC for dirt cheap or continue with my original plan. Here's part of the story: I'm in college, going to University soon if the gods allow it, I work part time but I don't pay rent nor see moving out with a gf in the near future. I'm more inclined to staying NA as I do not want to risk spinning bearings, not getting a good tune (most tunners locally are for imports), belt slip issues, and just plain blowing up my motor. Reason I'd rather not risk those is I'm in college and if it breaks its gonna sit for a year before I can fix it. I don't really want to get into anything extensive in this point in life; also the car is my DD lol.

My original plan: full bolt ons, LTs, tune, gears (done), k member, suspension work (80% done), free weight reduction, and a 100 shot just in case. Also, long term would be a T56 as I need that extra gear! Having to end a close race at the top of 4th is no fun (4.10s).

My goals for this car are nothing crazy, I'd love to dip into the 12's NA (hopefully gears, LTs, bolt ons, tune should do it). Than the ocassional shot for fun. I don't race much at all, I don't visit the track too often, nor do I participate in street racing often. The only people I street race are my friends as I know them.

I know basics on SC but not enough to carry the procedure out on my own nor deal with the issues that pertain to SC at times.

Sorry for the long book, but what would y'all suggest? Share your wisdom please.

CptJagermeister

likes chicken
Established Member
Like everybody says low boost with a good tune and you should see some life out of your engine. The real issue is the pistons and the transmission. why ford would take the effort to put a block cable of 1000hp, a crank capable of supporting 1000hp, and pretty strong conn rods just to pair that with crap pistons and tranny is beyond all of us.

IMO stay N/A until you save up enough to build and boost the motor at the same time. or buy the s/c for cheap and wait till you can build the motor. plus you have to beef up your fuel system too.

Last edited:

harvboi05

Established Member
keep it NA until you can afford to maybe have to buy a built short block/fuel system/driveline. your car will be plenty fun and fast for the average joe in the mean time. my .02.

mark23svt

Established Member
I'm staying n/a aswell for now until I can afford a built block, I'm getting same mods as op to also include a aluminum ds,short runner intake, and a march fluid damper with a steeda water pump and alternator pulley.

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
Im gonna give a generic response lol if you're happy with the car with full bolt ons do that and stick to your original plan. Less to worry about

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
A daily driver that if it breaks would remain broken for a year....

I wouldn't ever consider forced induction in your situation.

Ford1288

Established Member
Stay NA. You are young (I'm assuming), always time down the road for a project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noreast

Established Member
I have what your looking for and im NA just flat top and high compression. Car mad 303rwhp when the cams werent degreed right. Got it fixed and havent dynod it yet but im 19 and the car is such a blast do drive. Freeing up some weight itll be even faster. Im running stock 327 and its fun as hell. Youll be happy with full bolt ons!! Like stated above save up and do it all at once

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I think a big reason many boosted Cobra's don't last long(myself inclueded) is that we get too greedy. Pushing too much power, reving it too high, beating the shit out of it all the time and running the car hard against the advice of the tuner. Which by the way is the most crucial factor in all of this, the tune. The tune will make or break you. I didn't have the best tune and it was not really the fault of the tuner I went to either. A tuner can only work with what is givin to him/her and if the car is not ready or experiencing problems then you can't expect wizardry.

So in my case I had a crappy tune, spark blowout, over heating issues and bypass valve issues. I should have known better AND my tuner warned me that I should fix the issues and bring it back so he could fine tune it and have it running strong. I fixed nearly every issue but never went back. Next thing I know my engine quits while cruising in 6th gear at 70mph on the freeway. I really have no one to blame but myself.

You could boost your Cobra and be ok if you are truly cautious. Keep the boost low, get a good tune. Make sure your car is mechanically sound when you take it to get tuned. Make sure you have the necessary supporting mods which should absolutely include cooling system upgrades. Better radiator and maybe upgraded fan, especially since you live in the desert. I had my car tuned in 118 degree heat. Is there any wonder why my car failed lol! It can be done but you have to do it right.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
You wanting to go with a t-56 just to gain the extra gear because you hate to stop a close race at the top of 4th isn't going to benefit you much. The 6th gear in the t-56 isn't much greater than the one in the t45. You won't even be able to use 5th as a racing gear since you don't make anywhere close to the necessary power level needed to becable to race in 5th. And do you really need to go faster than 127mph racing?

SVTPete83

Established Member
I would leave it na. I ran mid 12's with bolt ons, not even long tubes and 4.56's. Had no problems driving it daily. On a side note, the 6 speed does not get you extra gearing. 4rth is still 1:1 and 6th is still .62. That being said it is tougher. My bolt in 12 second combo was 275 mt et streets, ported intake, bbk intake, accufab single blade tb, magnaflow catted x and catback, aluminum ds, t-56,lowered with adjustable shocks and a good tune. Car put down 300 and ran 12.70's consistently at 108.

dutchrower16

Established Member
Build your engine and you won't have to worry. You can't throw tons of boost on a stock engine, it's only going to hold it for so long. I have a 98 cobra, with a forged engine and I have no issue's with running boost.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
The general consensus seems to be staying NA and to the original plan until I can afford to build a block. I think that's the smart choice as well. I like to do things right and right now I can't afford to build a block and SC at the same time. I can forsure afford the SC and supporting mods though.

yes, can't forget that the stock T45 is not up to the game. I would need to have a replacement ready to go. I'd also need to put in a strong clutch to handle the power. I can't believe Ford skimped on a better tranny and pistons + rods either.

Blownbyu: Totally different motor lol. But that's impressive.

mark23svt: We think alike. Those were my exact future mods as well. Should be a fun street car. Where are you going to find the march fluid damper?

For those of you that guessed, I am rather young (21). I do have lots of time ahead of me that is forsure but I've always wanted to take advantage of my low miles situation and go FI. But than again, I would most likely have a built short block in the future.

97desertCobra: I was wondering why your car wasn't running. I agree, the tune needs to be spot on but the car also needs to be mechanically well and have the appropriate supporting mods. I strongly agree on cooling mods here in this desert. The stock system is not working well for my NA cobra as is here. 3 core radiator, 180 stat, lower fan temps are all in my near future before next summer comes around. Thanks for the insight on how your motor went, that's a definite lesson learned and well noted in my books. I concur, greed is the biggest reason these Cobras don't last long on boost. 10#'s is the most I'd go with; anything more and its risky. But once you have it you want more.

You wanting to go with a t-56 just to gain the extra gear because you hate to stop a close race at the top of 4th isn't going to benefit you much. The 6th gear in the t-56 isn't much greater than the one in the t45. You won't even be able to use 5th as a racing gear since you don't make anywhere close to the necessary power level needed to becable to race in 5th. And do you really need to go faster than 127mph racing?
Is that so? I assume you mean the 5th gear. Hmm that's interesting; I wasn't completely sure if having that extra gear and allowing me to go into 5th and continue pulling was going to help. One of the main things I would love about the t56 is lower highway cruising speeds. Well, in AZ races usually go beyond 130. The general rule is to go 100mph over the speed you began in. Not like its necessary everytime, one can tell when you've gotten far behind that its pointless or far ahead. Ha well I had some recent close races with an STi that I needed to go out to the top of 4th at 7k RPM @ 127mph to pull ahead lol.

I would leave it na. I ran mid 12's with bolt ons, not even long tubes and 4.56's. Had no problems driving it daily. On a side note, the 6 speed does not get you extra gearing. 4rth is still 1:1 and 6th is still .62. That being said it is tougher. My bolt in 12 second combo was 275 mt et streets, ported intake, bbk intake, accufab single blade tb, magnaflow catted x and catback, aluminum ds, t-56,lowered with adjustable shocks and a good tune. Car put down 300 and ran 12.70's consistently at 108.
That's exactly what I love to hear. I'm running 4.10s though. With 4.56's I'm sure I could nail 12's with some practice. yes 4th does remain 1:1, but I'd love the extra gear for cruising speeds as well, and yes it is tougher than our t45s. Were there any issues with the aluminum DS for a daily? All I really want are consistent 12's. I realize it can be had with no boost. What wheels were you running the mt streets on? I plan to get some 15" F150 wheels and throw some MT's on them.

I have what your looking for and im NA just flat top and high compression. Car mad 303rwhp when the cams werent degreed right. Got it fixed and havent dynod it yet but im 19 and the car is such a blast do drive. Freeing up some weight itll be even faster. Im running stock 327 and its fun as hell. Youll be happy with full bolt ons!! Like stated above save up and do it all at once
That is what I am looking for not going to lie. What was the torque with high compression? And how much compression? I'm 21 and I do believe this is ample power for me as well, not that its based on age or anything lol. You my friend, need a gear in your life lol. 4.30s if you can!

ATL: LOL yes! I drove an 804rwhp 03 Cobra with a lysholme SC 6 spd, OMG that was exhilarating! Way too much for the street though lol.

98fourvalve

Established Member
That's exactly what I love to hear. I'm running 4.10s though. With 4.56's I'm sure I could nail 12's with some practice. yes 4th does remain 1:1, but I'd love the extra gear for cruising speeds as well, and yes it is tougher than our t45s. Were there any issues with the aluminum DS for a daily? All I really want are consistent 12's. I realize it can be had with no boost. What wheels were you running the mt streets on? I plan to get some 15" F150 wheels and throw some MT's on them.

There is no extra gear for cruising speeds. What he was saying is the standard 6 speed does nothing more than put an extra gear between the t45's 4th and 5th gear. You get the normal 1-4, then a 4.5, then a 5th. Cruising with a t45 in 5th is the same as cruising a standard t56 in 6th.

SVTPete83

Established Member
For wheels I had 17 inch bullets front and back. Nothing too fancy. With the f150 wheels be careful without the correct offset the brakes can become a factor

Noreast

Established Member
Yeah I gotta get some gears haha and the car was on the Low side of tourque but my cams werent degreesd properly. It was at 280rwtq. Re dyno should be soon!! It's around 10/10.5-1. If I wanted I could run low boost and make over 400rwhp. If your planing on boost in the future I wouldn't run a high compression motor though. And btw I'm
20 this week haha so I'm happy with it !!

steedacobra

Established Member
My 1998 Steeda cobra was put together in 10/98 with 7 miles on the motor running 10lbs of boost on stock internals. fast forward to today running 12lbs. 456rwhp still with stock internals, original ford clutch, 56,000 miles and its stronger than day one with no major problems to date.

if its put together right, tuned right and you know how to drive it you will not have any issues.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread