Is it mandatory to have drivers license to work at a dealer??

03DOHC

Established Member
Yes for a tech. I don't know for a parts guy. If you are just getting into the business they will probably have you driving though.

Juiced-03

Established Member
YES. Any dealership will REQUIRE a license for almost ANY position. I have worked at several dealerships and they all required it. Parts guys are always delivering parts or picking up last minute supplies. Techs are always test driving or moving cars in and out of the shop. Not to be rude, but they will laugh at you if you try to apply without a license.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by Juiced-03
YES. Any dealership will REQUIRE a license for almost ANY position. I have worked at several dealerships and they all required it. Parts guys are always delivering parts or picking up last minute supplies. Techs are always test driving or moving cars in and out of the shop. Not to be rude, but they will laugh at you if you try to apply without a license.

If the position doesn't require driving, how is it legal to discriminate against those who don't carry a license? Last time I checked there wasn't a law forcing people to drive.

I know what you are saying, I just find it irritating that dealers do this.

NiteMareGT

Master Of Puppets
Established Member
Originally posted by PlatinumCobra
If the position doesn't require driving, how is it legal to discriminate against those who don't carry a license? Last time I checked there wasn't a law forcing people to drive.

I know what you are saying, I just find it irritating that dealers do this.

Sorry, that's not descrimination, it is a job requirement. Anytime you're in the business of handling, servicing, or maintaining vehicles, you're required to have an automobile operators license......If you apply for an electricians job and you don't have tools, and they don't hire you, is that descrimination? It is really a requirement of OSHA/Insurance regulations.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by NiteMareGT
Sorry, that's not descrimination, it is a job requirement. Anytime you're in the business of handling, servicing, or maintaining vehicles, you're required to have an automobile operators license......If you apply for an electricians job and you don't have tools, and they don't hire you, is that descrimination? It is really a requirement of OSHA/Insurance regulations.

How does a parts counter position have anything to do with driving any vehicle? Maybe I'm missing something here.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by PlatinumCobra
How does a parts counter position have anything to do with driving any vehicle? Maybe I'm missing something here.
If it's an entry level position he will not go straight to the parts counter. He will most likely start as a parts delivery guy.

Unless you are an office bitch you will have to have a license.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
If it's an entry level position he will not go straight to the parts counter. He will most likely start as a parts delivery guy.

Ahhh, I keep forgetting about the delivery part.

i8u

Established Member
In order for the dealorships insurance to cover you if you are driving any vehicle you must have a valid drivers liscence.:beer:

NiteMareGT

Master Of Puppets
Established Member
Originally posted by i8u
In order for the dealorships insurance to cover you if you are driving any vehicle you must have a valid drivers liscence.:beer:

In order for the dealerships insurance to cover the dealership period, all shop, parts, and sales personel must be licensed.....even the detailer......

Juiced-03

Established Member
In order for the dealerships insurance to cover the dealership period, all shop, parts, and sales personel must be licensed.....even the detailer......

Yep! I have detailed, delivered parts, worked on cars, ported cars, even was a service greeter and they all required a license (even if little to no driving was performed).

ravenknight

Never enough
Established Member
Originally posted by Juiced-03
Yep! I have detailed, delivered parts, worked on cars, ported cars, even was a service greeter and they all required a license (even if little to no driving was performed).
I have done all the of these jobs but now I am the assistant manger of service and we don't even look at your app unless you have a drivers license, but we have not fired any one for losing the license, ie dui, but we do have the right since most jobs require driving a car/truck, even if your a parts counter, in case the driver calls in sick.

Koolaid_Guy

Know some guys that were detailers at a dealer and had no license :??: They also never said anything when giving the description of the job

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC

yup:p

or a detailer

NiteMareGT

Master Of Puppets
Established Member
Originally posted by Kool_ZX3
Know some guys that were detailers at a dealer and had no license :??: They also never said anything when giving the description of the job

Well, if this is really the case, then the dealership in question is breaking OSHA/Insurance regulations.......

Koolaid_Guy

Well, if this is really the case, then the dealership in question is breaking OSHA/Insurance regulations.......

This canada to???

My friend was also telling me if your only like doing oil changes and working at the counter u don't have to aslong as its not on the road and only from the lot to the bay and backing them back out.Like they never said about me deleviring parts anywhere just parts counter and oil changes.I just also leanred a good friend of mine his younger bro works at a dealer in canada here cleaning and detailing cars and it's not required by the dealer to have the license

Last edited by a moderator:

NiteMareGT

Master Of Puppets
Established Member
Originally posted by Kool_ZX3
This canada to???

My friend was also telling me if your only like doing oil changes and working at the counter u don't have to aslong as its not on the road and only from the lot to the bay and backing them back out.Like they never said about me deleviring parts anywhere just parts counter and oil changes.I just also leanred a good friend of mine his younger bro works at a dealer in canada here cleaning and detailing cars and it's not required by the dealer to have the license

I don't know about Canada, but here, the laws and insurance regulations stipulate this, though I'm sure they are not enforced and practiced to the letter.....

Users who are viewing this thread