is it finally time? truck for a car?

heywaitfourme

Established Member
So lately I've been watching and reading about the economy, as most of us have. With the oil prices where they are, the economy in the slump, the auto makers practically giving away vehicles, and the wars overseas; I'm curious as to what you guys, and gals, have to offer on this question.

I'm considering trading in my avalanche on a sedan/wagon/hatch as a daily driver. I do use my truck a good bit, right now. The problem is, I'm moving. I've been offered a contract thru the navy to do nuke engineering for them, and I am going to take it. We are finalizing the details of it right now, and once it's all done and said for, I'll be moving. I can't take any of my current toys with me, ie. quads, bikes, cobra. With out having any of those, I will have nothing to haul around, nor tow anywhere, aside from a refridgerator/tv that I buy for my house/apartment.

I know the market is as good as it's going to get right now for a person trading a vehicle, especially a truck. We are in the snow/ice season up here in the north. It is also the time to be a buyer. Is it a BUYERS market, for everything, new and used. The prices of fuel are rumored to go back up, the economy is very, VERY unstable, and our dollars are very weak. With that in mind, here are my thoughts...

With a weak dollar and high gas, I'm not willing, nor wanting, to pay 100 a fill up, every 400-500 miles again. My truck is not old, nor have high miles, but it is coming into that part of it's life where a decent service will be due. I can still get a good deal out of it on a trade, and cars are VERY cheap right now. I won't need the truck hardly at all once I move, and if I do need one, wouldn't it be smarter to either have whatever I purchased delieverd, or rent a U-Haul? I get a military discount for being a Veteran, and my contract is awarding me a fully paid move.

What do you guys think? I'm just looking for advice, as I'm a very indecisive person. Have any of you thought about this, or actually followed thru? I'm interested to hear the thoughts of others, and sometimes they have more insight into a subject than the person in it. thanks.

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
I sold my truck this past summer when gas was about $5/gallon. I was kind of pissed when it came down to $1.25 recently, but it wasn't worth the money and payment at the time. I had also cut back my work hours a lot and started back at school also, so it really wasn't worth the hassle of trying to afford it while working less and going to school. Having a truck comes in handy a lot, but if you really don't need, sell it and get a car. I'm still not sure what my next car is going to be, if I get another truck though gas will have to be reasonable for me to justify it. I did really like it though.

1999-COBRA-6661

[S]pecial[V]ehicle[T]eam
Established Member
I have a 98 F-150 4.2liter V6 with a 5-speed. It gets alright gas mileage for a 5000lbs truck... 18mpg around town and over 20 on the highway. For me, not having a truck is not an option.

JasonSnake

Established Member
I was thinking about buyin a 98-01 Explorer 5.0 as I have been seeing them go for about $3500 average. Not so worried about MPG since everything is near by for me. Plus, the 98 - 01 have the round foglights =)

Slug Fest

not amused
Established Member
I'm picking up a 95 Tahoe at the end of the week for short $$.... should come in handy an can tow the Cobra if need be... work is only 8 mi. away so I don't care about gas prices...

heywaitfourme

Established Member
My trucks are required to have 4x4 and a V8! If I have a truck, these have to be standard. I do alot of towing for my grandfathers farm right now, taking straw and hay to and from the auction. When I move, I know I'm goin to want to play off road like I do now, go out on the beachs, and all of the fun things I currently do.

Users who are viewing this thread