Is it easy to "flip" a classic

Porter68

Established Member
I have an opportunity to buy a 1966 mustang project car. Its a 289 c code with automatic transmission. Originally that light blue color with white interior (ugly in my eyes). The car is complete and a very solid car. Has been stored inside for many years. It has seen its better years but an in all would make a nice cruiser when done! It needs paint and the interior needs work for sure. I'm really not sure on the condition of the engine, trans, rearend but the owner said it ran about 4 years ago. My personal belief is that with a little work it should run and drive! I am able to do everything myself and my thought its take the car apart and paint it like it should be painted. I want to have a quality paint job and have a good looking car when its done. My questions are what is something like this worth now? What is it worth when its finished considering its in good condition? To maximize my profits should I restore the car back to stock or should I "hot rod" it? What would be a good color to paint the car if I dont go back original? Keep in mind my motive is to restore this car to make a profit on but yet still doing a good job in the process! Or am I just completely nuts thinking I can make money on this '66? I figure I could have the car done by spring time since that is usually the best time to sale! Thanks guys..

4valvemach

Established Member
Is it a fastback or just a coupe?

With old cars it really is all in the numbers engine,transmission,color and options.Ive seen just a firewall with the vin number for a 69 camaro bid up to $2000.00.From what ive seen over the years cars built to stock are worth WAY MORE than a modded car.

With your 66 mustang its a car everyone knows young to old male to female so that helps.Now pending how much of project it is I would say buying $500-$2500 selling when done $5000 to $8000

Porter68

Established Member
Its a c code coupe which I know there were tons of them built. Virtually rust free so thats got me thinking it cant be that hard of a project. Its still in it original condition and it doesnt look like anyone has ever messed with it too much. I dont think its numbers matching, well engine at least. My thought is restore it back to original condition and sell for around 10K?

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Just keep in mind, multiply your restoration budget by 5. They NEVER get done within budget. Restoring cars to sell for profit typically ends in a loosing proposition. My Mach, for example. I bought it for damn near 1/3 of it's total restoration cost.

Flipping a classic is one thing (small repairs/improvements). Restoring it to sell is another!

Users who are viewing this thread