Is it common to cut the stock springs on an S-197?

Sonik Blur

]V[EGADET]-[
Established Member
When I was in my Cobra, I saw that many people just cut their stock springs instead of buying aftermarket ones....anyone do this on S-197's?

-Mike

NotQuik

Just a GT
Established Member
IMO, do it right the first time and buy a set of springs specifically for your car.

I know it's not the answer your looking for but i'm just voicing my opinion.

blck04gt

Just a stupid GT....
Established Member

THE_STIG

Established Member
I never understood why people cut their springs, just buy aftermarket ones, they ride better anyway.

SOHC46

Super Poster!
Established Member
The S197 crowd is harsh when it comes to this subject. Everyone that has one will tell you to just buy some springs. Although if you go into one of the Cobra/Foxbody forums the people their are more open to it, and in fact there are a lot of people who do it.

I was/am interested in doing the same thing. As I wanted a soft spring for daily driving and 1/4 mile. I wanted to go much lower with the ride height as a 1.5" or 2.0" spring will not drop you down enough for the car to look good with 18's (IMO). There will still be to much wheel gap (two to three fingers), between tire and wheel well.

After much research, I have found out that the bottom of S197 springs in the front are curled in. In the rear the springs are curled in both at the top and the bottom are curled in. Meaning that if you cut the springs they will be too big (wide) to fit into the purches. S197 springs are linear, and not progressive. With the exception being cars outfitted with the FRPP springs (i.e Shelby GT's).

The lowest springs on the market are the eibach sportlines at 1.5" in the front and 2.0" in the rear. If you are looking to go lower, coilovers are the only option but are $$$. Temporarily I put in the FRPP K springs, so I did not look goofy with my FR500 replicas. Eventually I will be going with some Maximum Motorsports coilovers. If they ever finish R and D'ing them.

Hope this helps. Below is a pic of my car with FRPP K springs. BTW, I now have a wing delete, and I reoved the black CDC panel.

pics129.jpg picture by SOHC46 - Photobucket

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
When I had my S197 Mike, many people went with the Eibach pro kit and sportline kit.

Pro kit = average drop

Sprotline = slamed.

I would choose between those two.

StStang0702

SVT Poster
Established Member
i have the FRPP handling package on my car and i kind of want it a little bit lower, is it possible for me to buy Eibach lowering springs and put those on the car instead of the FRPP ones?? is this possible?

SOHC46

Super Poster!
Established Member
i have the FRPP handling package on my car and i kind of want it a little bit lower, is it possible for me to buy Eibach lowering springs and put those on the car instead of the FRPP ones?? is this possible?

If you go with Eibach Sportlines yes. The pro kit is the same as your FRPP K springs.

SOHC46

Super Poster!
Established Member
The front would sit the same, the rear however would go down .5" (1/2"). IMO, if you want to go lower than the FRPP handling pack, save up some $ and get coil overs.

Users who are viewing this thread