Is it Bad?

apentivolpi

AlexFreestyle
Established Member
Is it Bad to drive the truck around with the overdrive off all the time. I just don't trust the over drive ever since I blow my motor.

chuckdlightning

Established Member
i don't really see how it could hurt anything... your gas mileage will obviously suffer. If i'm not going like 45mph or better mine is usually off

LSUstang05

Established Member
It shouldn't hurt anything other than your gas mileage. If you are over about 50mph, I would turn it on though so you can actually go somewhere without having to fill up every 100 miles or so lol

01whiteL

Established Member
the ONLY time overdrive can hurt anything is exactly as you stated...... WOT while going INTO overdrive(stock trucks 120mph right?). It's making top end runs and going into overdrive that stresses the internals and causes failure. Normal driving etc don't worry about it at all, but anytime your gonna go WOT turn O/D off before to save some life on the trans as well.

03blklightning

INTERCEPTOR
Established Member
My truck won't shift into overdrive until it hits 45. I can sit between 40 and 45 and it will not shift. No matter how hard I try. If you're driving down the high way then I would turn overdrive on. If you're going to race then trun overdrive off.

When I run at the track, I have overdrive off the entire time.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
You DO NOT need to drive around with the overdrive off. Only turn it off when your going to run it through the gears. As already stated, the issue is shifting into OD at WOT.

chip moore

Established Member
I never turn mine off, even when towing LOL. CAI, 4#, Ported blower, Catback, and 255 LPH pumps. I just got back from a 300 mile trip pulling the enclosed trailer.... You definitely do not need to turn it off while cruising around. I also haul a car on my 18ft at least twice a month if not more...... I have been lucky I guess.

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
You DO NOT need to drive around with the overdrive off. Only turn it off when your going to run it through the gears. As already stated, the issue is shifting into OD at WOT.

+1
What Eric said......

Unless you are some kind of pro race driver and you must drive WOT everywhere you go.
I would hate to see your speeding ticket history if that's the case. The cops must love you. :p

Users who are viewing this thread