Is Harley-Davidson done for?

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
I just bought my first Harley (New 18’ Roadglide) last month. So far I’m very impressed with it. The new Milwaukee 8 engine has plenty of power. Looks wise, nothing comes close to a Harley. I bought it because I felt it was the best fit for me and for what I want out of a cruiser. Perfect for taking my wife with me, she loves it btw. Only thing is the prices on all their accessories is pretty crazy high but, the quality is also very high so it doesn’t bother me too much.

Love those things. Seen a couple sittjng all the way back on the bags a few times. Guys had bigger balls than i do to wheelie that big a bike

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Im back in the market myself and i will admit that Harley isn’t on the list even though I enjoyed my sportster. The maintenance is ridiculously high and i like to ride to much.
Looking at the FZ07 yamaha bikes right now and the suzuki SV650. If harley would come back down to earth i would be interested

earl lee

Established Member
HD is basically OLD GM. They are stuck in the past and refused to changed. They were living on there old baby bloomer customers who all have 1 foot in the grave now and cant ride.

Companies that run like shit should go out of business. The HD business model - increase 50 year old tech by 10% each decade. Also if you ever been to a HD dealer, their reps are clowns and make you regret even showing up to look at a HD!

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
They were living on there old baby bloomer customers who all have 1 foot in the grave now and cant ride.
orly_owl.jpg

SHOdown220

Established Member
Im back in the market myself and i will admit that Harley isn’t on the list even though I enjoyed my sportster. The maintenance is ridiculously high and i like to ride to much.
Looking at the FZ07 yamaha bikes right now and the suzuki SV650. If harley would come back down to earth i would be interested

Only high if you pay the dealer to do maintenance. I do it myself and anyone who has very basic knowledge of which direction to turn a wrench can do the basic maintenance themselves. It cost me $35 to do the oil change and I think around $90 to do a full service with all fluids. I just did a brake flush last week that cost me $7. No valve adjustments and no chain maintenance or replacement.

It's no more expensive to maintain a HD than any other bike and I'm comparing to when I owned Honda's. Replacement parts are probably higher but I wouldn't really know as in the 6 years I've owned Harleys the only part I had to replace was a brake master cylinder rebuild kit that I caused to gunk up by not changing my brake fluid. That kit was $19.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Only high if you pay the dealer to do maintenance. I do it myself and anyone who has very basic knowledge of which direction to turn a wrench can do the basic maintenance themselves. It cost me $35 to do the oil change and I think around $90 to do a full service with all fluids. I just did a brake flush last week that cost me $7. No valve adjustments and no chain maintenance or replacement.

It's no more expensive to maintain a HD than any other bike and I'm comparing to when I owned Honda's. Replacement parts are probably higher but I wouldn't really know as in the 6 years I've owned Harleys the only part I had to replace was a brake master cylinder rebuild kit that I caused to gunk up by not changing my brake fluid. That kit was $19.

You’re right. The problem for me was and is they said either they service it or the warranty was voided

SHOdown220

Established Member
You’re right. The problem for me was and is they said either they service it or the warranty was voided
Sounds like a garbage dealer, sorry you had bad luck. Sounds like a lot of people have had bad luck with some dealers and that's a shame because it really puts a bad taste in your mouth about a whole brand. My dealer was fine with me doing my own service never had a problem. There's a local dealer to me that requires them to service the bikes but only because they offer a lifetime power train warranty on any bike they sell. So it's understandable they want to be sure it's serviced correctly

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Sounds like a garbage dealer, sorry you had bad luck. Sounds like a lot of people have had bad luck with some dealers and that's a shame because it really puts a bad taste in your mouth about a whole brand. My dealer was fine with me doing my own service never had a problem. There's a local dealer to me that requires them to service the bikes but only because they offer a lifetime power train warranty on any bike they sell. So it's understandable they want to be sure it's serviced correctly

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yeah they went under a couple of years ago

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Harley maintenance costs are over blown. Honestly, no different than a car. Only things I let the dealer do was the neck bearing adjustments.

Dealers will try and tell you that you need to pay their $1000 10k service. "Gotta take the valve covers off and adjust the valves" they said. Umm... no the **** you dont. Thats what the hydraulic lifters are for.

Clutch cable adjustment is easy.

I personally did NOT like the Dyna front brake master cylinders. 1 failed on my bike, and my ex had 3 masters fail on hers. 2 were dealer replaced, 1 after the warranty expired.

Users who are viewing this thread