Is gear whine somewhat normal?

svtsilversnake

DRIVER MODED
Established Member
I got my 4.30 gears put in several months ago and they whined allitle but not so much that it was annoying. however, now they seem to do it all the time and when its really hot outside its pretty loud but only when im not on the gas. I asked my freind that did it and he said that it wasnt going to hurt anything and he got it as close as he could with the shim kit that i provided him with.

I need your input svtp. What should I do?

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
They shouldn't whine. I don't know if it'll hurt anything. Mine don't whine, though

sleepermobile

Established Member
Gears shouldnt make noise...... I have had many cars with gears that made a little noise though. You will be fine!!!

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
slight is ok, if it's annoyingly loud, they should be replaced by a more experienced installer. I've installed about 50 sets with no significant whine or noise, ranging from 3.55 to 4.30.

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
Mine whine very slightly and have since they have been installed almost 3 years ago (at a dealership btw) I think if it's a slight whine, you should be ok

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
the higher gear that you go with, the more normal gear noise there will be. and the brand makes a difference too.
it also depends on how they are set up.

as long has its not clunking or stupid loud i wouldnt worry to much about them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread