Is "engine timing" something that is shown on the bottom of a dyno graph?

The Mongoose

Established Member
I've got the dyno graph for the Cobra I'll be getting and at the bottom of the dyno graph it says:

"RunFile_004.drf Max *Analog 1 = 24.75" This text is right above a Speed (MPH) graph that starts out at 40 and ends at 180 and the line on the graph slowly increases and stops at 160. My question is, is this the timing, and if not, what is it?

Thanks for the help guys :beer:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
the analog would usually be for something like boost or possibly the a/f. can you post the graph? whats the setup on the car? 24.75 would be a lot of boost :D

a parameter like "timing" ie "spark advance" would probably be an obd2 datapoint from a datalog

also, the dynograph can be set up with different x/y axis identifiers. although usually you will see the x axis as "RPM", some shops will set it as "MPH" as an alternative

The Mongoose

Established Member
the analog would usually be for something like boost or possibly the a/f. can you post the graph? whats the setup on the car? 24.75 would be a lot of boost :D

a parameter like "timing" ie "spark advance" would probably be an obd2 datapoint from a datalog

also, the dynograph can be set up with different x/y axis identifiers. although usually you will see the x axis as "RPM", some shops will set it as "MPH" as an alternative

I wish I could post up the graph; I've got it saved on my desktop, but I don't have a photobucket account and haven't figured out how to post pics.

The setup is a 1999 Cobra with an 04 Terminator engine, tranny, ecu. The setup has Crower stage 2 cams, long tubes, 3 inch exhaust and a Novi 2000 blower. I was told the car is setup on 18 psi and the dyno graph the guy sent me was with the car pushing 18 psi. The numbers on the dyno graph are 756 rwhp and 660 rwtq on a Dynojet. The dyno also says at the top "STD Smoothing: 5". The dyno sheet also says "TunersInc/Speedfab 164 College Dr. Orange Park FL".

I want to make sure it's not the timing because 24.75 degrees of timing would not be good. If it is the a/f, is that a safe number?

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
no, 24.75 would mean death if that was the a/f and the car was WOT.

I suggest you ask for some more information on the car. A datalog would be great. Here is mine, you will see "analog 1" 11.641 and that is the reading from my LC1 wideband. You will also see the "spark advance" at 23.000 and that is the timing. This is an e85 car at 22psi with a whipple

IMG_0887.JPG

The Mongoose

Established Member
This car is on 93 with no meth. I just wonder that that number at the bottom is? It could be amount of boost because don't you think those numbers are pretty high for a 8.5.1 compression engine running 18 psi on 93? I think those numbers are more on par with 24 psi.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
its very hard to say without seeing it. if you would like, pm me and i'll give you my email. i'll host the graph for you so we can all see :beer:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
here it is. considering thats a centri blower....looks like the boost to me! maybe they were running some race gas on this tune. have fun with it :beer:

Novi%25202000%2520Cobra%2520Dyno%2520Sheet.JPG

The Mongoose

Established Member
Thanks again for hosting the dyno graph for me. Does this dyno graph look typical for a centri blower Cobra? I guess what I'm trying to ask is does the powerband look right in temrs of where the power really starts to come on? And does the torque number seem low, or am I just crazy?

Co-brat

FNG
Established Member
Uh yeah with those power #s I would have to say that is boost as well, GOD DAYUM! I bet she rolls out pretty hard!

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Thanks again for hosting the dyno graph for me. Does this dyno graph look typical for a centri blower Cobra? I guess what I'm trying to ask is does the powerband look right in temrs of where the power really starts to come on? And does the torque number seem low, or am I just crazy?

Nate, they presented that dyno very strange like. At first I thought that was 2 hp curves - lol. Thats actually just different scalings for the tq and hp....so you don't get the sense of the hp/tq intersecting at 5250rpms if the scaling would have been identical on both sides.

I think for a centrifugal cobra, the tq hitting late is just indicative of those setups. The peak at 600+ is not really that low, it just hits much later than a twin screw would. I think the graph itself is not unusual for this setup. Notice how the boost grows linear as rpms increase....twin screws would hit much more immediate and lower in the band and then tail off.

The Mongoose

Established Member
Nate, they presented that dyno very strange like. At first I thought that was 2 hp curves - lol. Thats actually just different scalings for the tq and hp....so you don't get the sense of the hp/tq intersecting at 5250rpms if the scaling would have been identical on both sides.

I think for a centrifugal cobra, the tq hitting late is just indicative of those setups. The peak at 600+ is not really that low, it just hits much later than a twin screw would. I think the graph itself is not unusual for this setup. Notice how the boost grows linear as rpms increase....twin screws would hit much more immediate and lower in the band and then tail off.

You are right in regards to the dyno graph HP/TQ presentation; nothing like I've ever seen either. I hadn't thought about it that way. I, too, am used to seein the HP/TQ intersecting, which gives a better visual repersentation. Either way, this car is an ANIMAL and I can't wait to trade for it. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread