Is cutting springs with sawzall safe?

5.4ever

Crawling before Walking
Established Member
My installer wants to cut my springs with a sawzall, will that damage the springs? Thanks

reef93

EVILNSIDE
Established Member
I dont think it will hurt anything, but I would cut them with a porta-band. Way easier and much faster.

5.4ever

Crawling before Walking
Established Member
I dont think it will hurt anything, but I would cut them with a porta-band. Way easier and much faster.

I asked him but he says he only has a sawzall...

As long as its safe i dont mind how he does it

any more info??

KLLR SNK

Established Member
Sawsall is fine if that is all he has, much better than using a torch. A cutoff wheel, chop saw, even a hack saw if you have that much ambition, all will work.

5.4ever

Crawling before Walking
Established Member
That will ride like shit.....but be sure you cut from the top.

My car already rides like shit with the eibachs on. Ive had H&Rs before and they were way too stiff, and it had tokico shocks. Im hoping that on stock/cut springs and a slight rebuild it will ride better. I cant imagine it riding too much worse than the eibachs. Spring rate is too soft imho

Jefe

Established Member
Make sure he doesnt cut them all in one go. Do half or part at a time so the spring doesnt heat up too much. Should be fine though

Dont cut the pancaked coils. Cut the round ones

applecarguy

Established Member
My friend cut my springs with a Dremel. Took maybe 5 min tops per spring. We cut off almost 3/4 coil. Sits pretty good but I still want to go a little lower. I have the cut springs in the front and H&R Sports in the rear. Rides pretty good, probably better than stock.

5.4ever

Crawling before Walking
Established Member
Just to check in, we tried with a saw zall and it was a no go. took like 15 mins for one. took it down to the street to a muffler shop and he cut the other 3 in 2 minutes with a cutting wheel

Users who are viewing this thread