Is anyone in So Cal going to polish their exhaust b4 FF@K?

ARMEDSVT

Established Member
I was wondering if anybody was going to polish the exhaust on their cobra b4 the knotts show? I was thinking a few peeps can get together and bang it out quicker than doing it by yourself. Anybody planning this let me know.

68gtscode

Established Member
sanding disc to put on a drill to make the job go a lot faster.

I recently completed polishing my cat back, and would dissagree with this statement. Assuming you are using a rough flapper wheel, I would recommend using it as little as possible- only use it to smooth our marks from the mandrel machine, and really deap scratches. I started out using a 100 grit flapper wheel on the passenger side of my catback, and quickly figured out it took forever to hand-sand the deep scratches out. I probably had 40 hours in that side. I learned my lesson though, and minimized the use of my flapper wheel on the driver's side. I probably got that side done in around 10-12 hours. In general, I would start with as fine a grit sandpaper as possible, around 220 or 300, by hand.

Of course, if you have flapper wheels of 300+ grit, they would probably be very helpful. Good luck either way, I can't say I would do it again.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
I am in the process of polishing mine now and it is one of the most horrible/painful mods I have done to my car. I can't even tell you how many hours I have been sanding because I have lost count. I have a LONG ways to go until I am finished. I am thinking of just sending them out to get polished. It would be worth the money to have someone else do it lol

03MACH04SVT

MYSTICHROME
Established Member
^ hang in there man, if you have a sander try it, i ended up polishing the whole catback with the sander. once your done you will be really happy with it, this is easily one of my favorite mods that i have done to my car.

i polished out my exhaust when it was new and the best advice i can give you guys is to use one of those small sanders (make sure its not the orbiting kind). i polished out the tail pipes by hand and by the time i was done with those my arm felt like jello. using a sander will save you time and your arm- with a sander you will be able to finish this in one day.

like mentioned above, the flapper wheel isn't really necessary.
here's a picture of a sander that is similar to the one i used.

D26441K_K1.gif

Last edited:

03MACH04SVT

MYSTICHROME
Established Member
^ Sweet! Thanks for the info man! How long did it take u?

i did the tail pipes by hand over the course of a weekend. the remaining parts (mufflers and tubing) took me about 3 hours with the sander. this is with me taking many brakes

03MACH04SVT

MYSTICHROME
Established Member
you can try the orbital but my initial guess would be that you might be able to see swirls.:shrug:
you can try it on a small area just to test it

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
my builder who makes our hood vents, ice tanks, etc now has an inhouse polisher with full on pro equipment. he's polishing blowers for me for CHEAP. ill ask him how much to do an exhaust system for those of you that dont want to do it yourselves. might be able to get one done by FFF too :dancenana:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
ive got a cat back sitting here right now. im going to drop it off at his shop so they can give me an estimate on polishing them up.

04sleeper says its a TON of work but it looks insanely beautiful as we all know. :bowdown:

Users who are viewing this thread