Is an 03-04 alum flywheel interchangeable w/ a 99-01 steel flywheel?

1989CobraMakeOv

mustangoholic
Established Member
...I’m replacing my clutch. Well, the guy who is installing my clutch can only do it tonight, well my flywheel needs to be resurfaced and shops aren't open at 8:00 at night, so I told him, "well I’ll just call our local mustang salvage yard and see if they have a 99-04 flywheel laying around that I can buy, have resurfaced, and then return my flywheel once we swap them out...." Then he says, "I've got a 03-04 cobra flywheel here (he has a 04 cobra which has apparently had a flywheel upgrade). Just have it resurfaced and bring it to me along with the new clutch and we'll get it done in one night."

At the time, I didn’t know the 03-04 cobra's came with a factory aluminum flywheel. Did luck into a sweet deal? Are the factory 03-04 aluminum flywheels better the 99-01 steel flywheels? Is that a common upgrade for 99-01 cobras on a budget, just buy a used 03-04 flywheel?

moonltgold

...I’m replacing my clutch. Well, the guy who is installing my clutch can only do it tonight, well my flywheel needs to be resurfaced and shops aren't open at 8:00 at night, so I told him, "well I’ll just call our local mustang salvage yard and see if they have a 99-04 flywheel laying around that I can buy, have resurfaced, and then return my flywheel once we swap them out...." Then he says, "I've got a 03-04 cobra flywheel here (he has a 04 cobra which has apparently had a flywheel upgrade). Just have it resurfaced and bring it to me along with the new clutch and we'll get it done in one night."

At the time, I didn’t know the 03-04 cobra's came with a factory aluminum flywheel. Did luck into a sweet deal? Are the factory 03-04 aluminum flywheels better the 99-01 steel flywheels? Is that a common upgrade for 99-01 cobras on a budget, just buy a used 03-04 flywheel?

Yes, it swaps. Did that with my old '01. Has heavier clutch feel; you need to get used to being more sensitive coming off idle or you will stall easier because it has less inertia. Car revs up quicker, but noticed had no rwhp or torque increase on a dyno.

1989CobraMakeOv

mustangoholic
Established Member
Yes, it swaps. Did that with my old '01. Has heavier clutch feel; you need to get used to being more sensitive coming off idle or you will stall easier because it has less inertia. Car revs up quicker, but noticed had no rwhp or torque increase on a dyno.

thanks for the input!

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
I went with a Fidanza flywheel when I did the clutch on my 01. It was around 12lbs or something, and with a CF DF clutch and pressure plate, driveability did not suffer at all. In fact, the pedal effort was less than stock. But seeing as you've got the Termi flywheel already and if you don't lose/gain any HP anyways, might as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread