Is Amsoil 5-50 worth it for single track day event

cheeser

Established Member
Planning to run a single track day at local 2 1/2 mile road course...probably 4 sessions of 10 laps each. Don't have the track pack and limit rpm to 6500.

Is it worth the trouble to run amsoil 5-50 before switching back to amsoil ss 5-20 before winter?

have run a few HDPE events in past with amsoil ss 5-20 and oil test didn't indicate any negatives.

railroad

Established Member
It would not be an issue for me, no brainer. I do not think I would running 5w-20 at any time.

cheeser

Established Member
Sorry if I wasn't clear in my first post.

I was questioning whether it was worth the cost/effort to run 5-50 in my GT for a single track day event as I am not taking the car to the max....I am still the limiting factor, before I switch back to SS 5-20 for the winter? I understand that it would make sense to run 5-50 if I was going to perform multiple track day events on hot days and I was really pushing the car.

I have previously run the amsoil SS 5-20 (before seeing these threads) last year in three separate track day events over the summer. The UOA seemed to indicate zero issues.

thanks

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
No, it wouldn't. SS 5w20 is perfectly capable of handling the occasional track day. However, I'd look into making the switch to Amsoil 0w40 full time if I were you. It should give you more protection without compromising cold flow.

Users who are viewing this thread