Is a Raptor a good winter truck?

Stroszek

Goes to 11
Established Member
Hardly a cash cow with sales down 84 percent over 10 years and I can't imagine margins were all that great. Meanwhile the Raptor is drawing the attention of buyers who wouldn't ordinarily be looking at a Ford. Or even a truck.

I've driven Ford trucks most of my adult life so it was natural for me to go with the Raptor but I've seen this truck turn a hell of a lot of heads and I've had more than a few compliments from the GM loyal crowd. Ford has taken risks and been successful when others weren't and their success continues without the Ranger

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I had read several things about the the small truck market shrinking...I would have to imagine Ford ran the numbers on a revamp and the payback wasnt there. The Raptor is a halo vehicle and its doing its job perfectly, if they come anywhere close to paying for the R&D in sales, its a winner with all the PR its gotten

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
although the raptor was a waste of time, money and resources on fords part, but I don't see why the raptor wouldn't be good in the snow. especially the big tires and its ride height. just don't plan on using it for a plow truck.

...what the **** are you smoking?

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
lets see, ford dropped the ranger although it was still holding number 2 spot for 5 years as the best selling small sized truck.

all of the concerns about fuel economy and other shit and yet ford drops the ranger, a vehicle that many had a demand for, a vehicle that only needed a redesign yet ford brings the raptor out. Allan mulally had nothing to do with the raptor program. I like the raptor its pretty cool. I have the money to buy one, will I? **** no! a complete waste, the raptor sets its own records because there is no other vehicle like it that is produced by GM or Chrysler so there can be no comparison. ford wanted more people in F150's, many that owned rangers didn't buy into the idea of ford motor company and the F150 stance so those loyal customers went to the competition. don't believe me? there was a massive article about it 1 year ago. what ever ford brings out it will sell that's the bottom line. but when you have something that has lasted for 30 plus years and then to suddenly drop that name, that is a massive screw up. and now ford is rethinking its strategy about a another small sized pick up and how they will market it here in the Americas. there was never a demand for the raptor, but there was huge demand for rangers. c'mon this is common sense.

Butthurt much? Lmao....

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I never imagined Id see someone with such an axe to grind about the ranger going away. It was dated inside and out and for a light truck the gas mileage was not where it needed to be, especially with upcoming cafe standards

americansteel

Banned
I never imagined Id see someone with such an axe to grind about the ranger going away. It was dated inside and out and for a light truck the gas mileage was not where it needed to be, especially with upcoming cafe standards[/QUOTEit

it comes down to supply and demand. the demand was there but ford didn't want to supply many people with what was demanded.
the ranger was outdated because it had almost the same design for 11 years yet that truck still held on to 2nd spot and was passed by the Tacoma in 05. a refresh and maybe even lets say an eco-boost or something along those lines would have brought the ranger back to number 1. loyal ranger owners were forced to other brands. the ranger got better gas mileage than the F150 ford knew that but they went their new plan "we want more people in F150s" - "there will be the option of a V6 short bed regular cab model for those who want a smaller truck other then the higher end models" 2 quotes by ford back in 2009 and 2010. its not too hard to understand that! this is something ford has given though about several months ago, they are now rethinking their truck strategy. btw the raptor has 14 months left.

Users who are viewing this thread