Is a Raptor a good winter truck?

JDJ

Established Member
I am really considering purchasing a Raptor for next winter. I currently have a 2007 Expedition 4X4, with Nittos on it. The Expedition has done great in the snow and ice, but it is time to trade it in.
How does the Raptor handle in the snow and ice? It will be DD, during the winters months. I get about 4 to 8 feet of snow between October and April. I often drive on unplowed roads early in the morning. Whats the feedback on this truck winter capability? Stock tires or winter tires?

Thanks in advance.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've driven one in the snow for short periods of time... I had 0 problems.

A Raptor is a good year round truck.

JDJ

Established Member
Thanks for feedback. I found a couple older reviews about the Raptor in snow. I am sold.
Will most likely place my order late June. Will talk to you guys then.

Again thanks

VaporDude

Established Member
The Raptor is a great truck in the winter. I have one that I am selling mine if you are interested. It is a 2010 molten orange supercab that is pretty much loaded with 27K miles.

Stroszek

Goes to 11
Established Member
57 Raptor owners that conquered the truck trails and logging roads of Michigan's Upper Peninsula last month would unanimously agree. The Raptor is as capable in the snow as it is in the desert.

[youtube_browser]P4IDLp0KEk8[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]7uMQJf4mkB8[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]v57aQ-CrU5E[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]Jlf2tOCm4_A[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

CobRoush-00

Established Member
57 Raptor owners that conquered the truck trails and logging roads of Michigan's Upper Peninsula last month would unanimously agree. The Raptor is as much at home in the snow as it is in the desert.

[youtube_browser]P4IDLp0KEk8[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]7uMQJf4mkB8[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]v57aQ-CrU5E[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]Jlf2tOCm4_A[/youtube_browser]

7uMQJf4mkB8

That answers the question. You beat me to that post.......:beer:

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Im doing the Snoball next time.
DOnt know how I didnt hear about this one!

americansteel

Banned
although the raptor was a waste of time, money and resources on fords part, but I don't see why the raptor wouldn't be good in the snow. especially the big tires and its ride height. just don't plan on using it for a plow truck.

6gun

although the raptor was a waste of time, money and resources on fords part, but I don't see why the raptor wouldn't be good in the snow. especially the big tires and its ride height. just don't plan on using it for a plow truck.

:xpl:?? waste ?? WTF are you talking about?

My 2011 Raptor SCrew has been nothing short of awesome with anything I've thrown at it including Michigan winters. I couldn't make the Snoball rally, but I woudln't have had second thoughts. Also, I'm sure plow brackets would bolt right up to the frame if I had the need or desire to make it one badass plow truck....

Last edited:

98slowbra

Established Member
I just traded my 1998 Chrome yellow cobra w/76k miles and my 2007 envoy denali off for one. Now I own a 4d 2013 blue flame Raptor. I have had it for 3 months and I have never looked back or miss my cobra. Since I live in Colorado I will find out how good she does in the snow. I was thinking of putting in like 4 sand bags in the back to help with traction.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Sand bags arent needed. This truck will eat snow with glee.

americansteel

Banned
Really? How so? Maybe you ought to give Alan Mulally a call and educate him.

lets see, ford dropped the ranger although it was still holding number 2 spot for 5 years as the best selling small sized truck.

all of the concerns about fuel economy and other shit and yet ford drops the ranger, a vehicle that many had a demand for, a vehicle that only needed a redesign yet ford brings the raptor out. Allan mulally had nothing to do with the raptor program. I like the raptor its pretty cool. I have the money to buy one, will I? **** no! a complete waste, the raptor sets its own records because there is no other vehicle like it that is produced by GM or Chrysler so there can be no comparison. ford wanted more people in F150's, many that owned rangers didn't buy into the idea of ford motor company and the F150 stance so those loyal customers went to the competition. don't believe me? there was a massive article about it 1 year ago. what ever ford brings out it will sell that's the bottom line. but when you have something that has lasted for 30 plus years and then to suddenly drop that name, that is a massive screw up. and now ford is rethinking its strategy about a another small sized pick up and how they will market it here in the Americas. there was never a demand for the raptor, but there was huge demand for rangers. c'mon this is common sense.

Mr Weber

Established Member
lets see, ford dropped the ranger although it was still holding number 2 spot for 5 years as the best selling small sized truck.

all of the concerns about fuel economy and other shit and yet ford drops the ranger, a vehicle that many had a demand for, a vehicle that only needed a redesign yet ford brings the raptor out. Allan mulally had nothing to do with the raptor program. I like the raptor its pretty cool. I have the money to buy one, will I? **** no! a complete waste, the raptor sets its own records because there is no other vehicle like it that is produced by GM or Chrysler so there can be no comparison. ford wanted more people in F150's, many that owned rangers didn't buy into the idea of ford motor company and the F150 stance so those loyal customers went to the competition. don't believe me? there was a massive article about it 1 year ago. what ever ford brings out it will sell that's the bottom line. but when you have something that has lasted for 30 plus years and then to suddenly drop that name, that is a massive screw up. and now ford is rethinking its strategy about a another small sized pick up and how they will market it here in the Americas. there was never a demand for the raptor, but there was huge demand for rangers. c'mon this is common sense.

You might be right that ford should have kept the ranger, but needed major updates. IMO the raptor is in no way a waste of time of money, it only took ford to another level and set some new standards as Ford always does. Beside, the guys buying Raptors, were never in the market for a ranger. It would be awesome to see a ecoboost ranger, but I'm not goin to hold my breath

americansteel

Banned
You might be right that ford should have kept the ranger, but needed major updates. IMO the raptor is in no way a waste of time of money, it only took ford to another level and set some new standards as Ford always does. Beside, the guys buying Raptors, were never in the market for a ranger. It would be awesome to see a ecoboost ranger, but I'm not goin to hold my breath

and people weren't in the market for a vehicle like the raptor in the first place. the ranger needed exterior updates. the ranger makes sense and the raptor does not. is the raptor cool? yeah I like it, but in all honesty ford lost a cash cow! and the raptor will never make that up.

Users who are viewing this thread