Is a off road mid pipe necessary?

Brickell gt500

Established Member
Guys,

I am having thoughts of bringing my exhaust totally back to stock. Including the stock catalytic converter. I have a off-road x pipe and a stainless works performance connect exhaust right now. Upfront, I have a vmp tb and a 2.4. I was told that a off-road pipe was necessary for the safety of the engine. I guess the added boost pressure would damage the stock cats. I wanted to see if I have to stick with my present exhaust. It's totally for the sound. I rather just here the supercharger whine and a subtle exhaust note instead of a screaming exhaust. Engine safety being paramount over hp loss.

thanks for suggestions

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
The factory 13/14 cats flow very well for stock, you only pick up about 15 HP with a off road mid pipe. Now if you're pushing 800whp than you probably don't want to be running cats, but with basic bolt ons your safe. Just make damn sure your tuner turns the cat protection back on, other wise you will melt the stock cats.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Does your SW system have the resonators in front of the rear tips?
Do you still have the stock mufflers?
I'd consider adding the resonators (have those in the garage to install this month actually) or even swapping the rear stock mufflers back before re-catting.
Just my opinion.
-J

Brickell gt500

Established Member
J,

That's a no and yes, I have the stock mufflers. I just wanted to see if anyone on the forum has a aftermarket tb and pulley with a stock exhaust.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I do. Full stock exhaust with 2.4 pulley and CJ Tb. I will be getting on the dyno as soon as this monsoon lets up for a few minutes. Probably Sunday at the earliest.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm sure they do and I know what you're hearing with a non-resonated non-catted SW exhaust (but with headers and all 3" :) )subtle it is not :beer:

If you're tune has cat protection I'm sure the stock cats will be fine, but you're giving up a few HP and I don't like the liability of cats on my car personally, but if you don't plan on any other mods I think you're fine.
-J

J,

That's a no and yes, I have the stock mufflers. I just wanted to see if anyone on the forum has a aftermarket tb and pulley with a stock exhaust.

Users who are viewing this thread