Is a Mach 1 even worth having?

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
I sold my procharged GT and bought a cobra because I got to the point that I didn't want to spend the money on the car to get where I wanted to be.

I feel better about having a fortune in a cobra, but it is still stupid.

I think any specialty car is worth having... a nicely modded cobra/mach1/bullitt will always catch my eye.

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
What other car has the ability for the owner to watch the shaker jump hard to the right at each speed shift.

japan4racing

Established Member
i have always wanted a terminator but after having my mach i wouldnt get rid of it for a terminator. i would still like to have one but the mach is soooo fun! looks great, sounds great, and the uninformed think its a gt...lol! if i had the money i would just build off of the mach platform instead of getting rid of it and buying a more expensive car that i would want to mod the same anyways...just sayin

BM1

Established Member
You can make either of them fast. It sounds like you just want to drive something with a Cobra emblem on it.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
i have always wanted a terminator but after having my mach i wouldnt get rid of it for a terminator. i would still like to have one but the mach is soooo fun! looks great, sounds great, and the uninformed think its a gt...lol! if i had the money i would just build off of the mach platform instead of getting rid of it and buying a more expensive car that i would want to mod the same anyways...just sayin

The biggest benefit to the Terminator is that the stock block can hold significantly more HP than the Mach- almost twice as much. For less than 3grand you can get to 485-515 RWHP depending on tune in a Terminator. The same cannot be said for a Mach. As mentioned before it's going to run you 7k in parts alone to get there in a Mach- 10k if you have no skills. 10k in mods on a Terminator will get you 700 rwhp with ease.....even more if you go TT vice BIG Twin Screw.

Aesthetics I'm not too concerned about because that's very subjective. Some LOVE the Mach- which to me is a GT with a grill delete, badges and a shaker (keep in mind we are ONLY talking looks- NOT performance). IOW- not a big difference to me at all looks wise. The difference with a Terminators looks although subtle are more numerous. I personally think the Terminator is the cleanest looking Mustang out there.....it's just classy to me somehow. Not as edgy as the other SN95's. It doesn't need to be- it does it's talking with power- not looks. But that's JMHO

f8lmach

Occasional SVT Poster
Established Member
The biggest benefit to the Terminator is that the stock block can hold significantly more HP than the Mach- almost twice as much. For less than 3grand you can get to 485-515 RWHP depending on tune in a Terminator. The same cannot be said for a Mach. As mentioned before it's going to run you 7k in parts alone to get there in a Mach- 10k if you have no skills. 10k in mods on a Terminator will get you 700 rwhp with ease.....even more if you go TT vice BIG Twin Screw.

Aesthetics I'm not too concerned about because that's very subjective. Some LOVE the Mach- which to me is a GT with a grill delete, badges and a shaker (keep in mind we are ONLY talking looks- NOT performance). IOW- not a big difference to me at all looks wise. The difference with a Terminators looks although subtle are more numerous. I personally think the Terminator is the cleanest looking Mustang out there.....it's just classy to me somehow. Not as edgy as the other SN95's. It doesn't need to be- it does it's talking with power- not looks. But that's JMHO

Then get the termi? :shrug:

like I said love both cars so if you liKe the cobra more get it

Last edited:

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Do what you want but,

A mach with bolt ons is 14kish, throw on a 100 shot and a 31 spline axel with 4.30 gears for 1500 and you will be in the 11's and its not "just another cobra"

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Then get the termi? :shrug:

like I said love both cars so if you liKe the cobra more get it

Because not everyone wants a 700 rwhp car. Some are completely satisfied with simple bolt ons and a little rumble in the exhaust. So dropping the kind of coin it takes to get a Terminator doesn't make sense.

I've had both- I still have the Mach- financial reasons forced me to sell my Terminator. But since I still have my Mach it doesn't make much sense to get a Terminator at this point. I'll just do my mods one or two at a time and I'll get to where I want to be.

Sir Nate 3000

Silver Stallion
Established Member
Do what you want but,

A mach with bolt ons is 14kish, throw on a 100 shot and a 31 spline axel with 4.30 gears for 1500 and you will be in the 11's and its not "just another cobra"

The 03-04 Mach1's and 03-04 Cobra's are both excellent cars, I was deciding between the Mach1 and Cobra, but when I took the Mach1 for a test drive that shaker hood scoop sold me. I bought my 04 Mach1 in June of 04 and went straight to the track that thursday. I was running 14.2 -14.4 until I got the launch down and the shift points right then I was rippin 13.2 - 13.3 all day and that was bone stock. Later I added cai, ngk plugs, 180 deg. stat, custom 2.5 in. exhaust (no cats), spec stage2 clutch, 4.30 gears, sct tune. With that I was running 12.6 - 12.7 and I even beat a stock 03 cobra! Im sure I could have gotten into the 11's with a h/c/i upprade, suspension, and stickier tires. I LOVED my Mach but I needed a truck to haul my drag car and the wife said I couldn't have two toys so I got the next best thing... a Lightning!

........ You will always want more power, no matter what car or truck you buy.

Last edited:

SirKing

Established Member
The 03-04 Mach1's and 03-04 Cobra's are both excellent cars, I was deciding between the Mach1 and Cobra, but when I took the Mach1 for a test drive that shaker hood scoop sold me. I bought my 04 Mach1 in June of 04 and went straight to the track that thursday. I was running 14.2 -14.4 until I got the launch down and the shift points right then I was rippin 13.2 - 13.3 all day and that was bone stock. Later I added cai, ngk plugs, 180 deg. stat, custom 2.5 in. exhaust (no cats), spec stage2 clutch, 4.30 gears, sct tune. With that I was running 12.6 - 12.7 and I even beat a stock 03 cobra! Im sure I could have gotten into the 11's with a h/c/i upprade, suspension, and stickier tires. I LOVED my Mach but I needed a truck to haul my drag car and the wife said I couldn't have two toys so I got the next best thing... a Lightning!

........ You will always want more power, no matter what car or truck you buy.

It sounds like you already made up your mind on getting a cobra. DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO, don't let anybody else make up your mind for you. I would love to have a cobra one day, but I absolutely love my mach 1. So what its not as fast....yet.....as a cobra, its still a pretty awesome car.

f8lmach

Occasional SVT Poster
Established Member
Because not everyone wants a 700 rwhp car. Some are completely satisfied with simple bolt ons and a little rumble in the exhaust. So dropping the kind of coin it takes to get a Terminator doesn't make sense.

I've had both- I still have the Mach- financial reasons forced me to sell my Terminator. But since I still have my Mach it doesn't make much sense to get a Terminator at this point. I'll just do my mods one or two at a time and I'll get to where I want to be.

oh crap my bad man I thought you were the OP :burn:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
We were virtually on the same page and then you go and post that.
We've been down the $$$ road before. (BTW - just so the ill informed understand, you meant the stock 'Short' block. not the bare block).

OVER ALL $$$ put into both cars, they will equal the same in the end. IF you are talking mod money only (not taking into account the price of the car), then of course the cobra wins.

my two cents is the same I tell everyone considering different cars.......drive them both. It comes down to what you want. I had both cars at the same time, sold the cobra, kept the mach. But that was me.:beer:

Bill Putnam

Established Member
I agree with what everyone else has pretty much stated.

I bought my Mach w/ P1SC on it a year and a half ago and at the time I paid a couple thousand less for it than what stock 03/04 Cobras were going for. I preferred most of the styling cues of the Mach as well as the SRA. Although today my car more resembles a Cobra than a Mach 1 (forged bottom end, Whipple 3.4, T-56, Cobra front bumper, side skirts). I wouldn't do anything different though as I like the overall look of the car and it's not often you see a Whipple on a Mach 1.

Bill

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
We were virtually on the same page and then you go and post that.
We've been down the $$$ road before. (BTW - just so the ill informed understand, you meant the stock 'Short' block. not the bare block).

I'm talking shortblock vs shortblock. The non-TEKSID al blocks are about the same as the Terminators iron block as far as how much HP it can hold- the same cannot be said for the bottom end. Since the heads/cams on Machs and Terminators are the same not much else to compare. It's a shame that the Mach doesn't have forged internals- then it would be on par with the Cobra.

My point with the Mach vs Cobra money debate is this. Look at Swervo's TTMach (one of the sickest on this board). After all was said and done his "kit" cost with install was around 11k. He had to upgrade his fuel system, clutch, and I think axles. The same kit on a Terminator would be about 2k less because there are less componants that you MUST upgrade (as opposed to should upgrade) Swervo got around 465 rwhp with that setup - the same setup in a Cobra will get you 725-750 rwhp. Yeah- in the longrun the Cobra would cost around 1500 more after initial purchase but an extra 300 rwhp for $1500? THIS is why many people want to get a Terminator!! Maybe the $ isn't a big issue for you....but for me it is.

I'm not saying it can't be done in a Mach- I'm not saying the Mach is a bad platform to start with. I love my Mach1, it's a great car. I just don't think it's as good a platform as a Terminator. That being said, I'm not goiing to bail on the Mach and get a Termi. That would be silly IMHO.

Last edited:

Adam03GT

Established Member
Its interesting hearing each person's opinion on this. I guess i need to look at it how someone put it, the money that it would take me to get into a Cobra vs putting that money into the Mach.

Only having owned this car for about 6 months and not being an avid track runner, i had no idea that simple bolt ons + gears and tires could put this car into the deep 12s. Very interesting.

I just wish the Mach came stock with a fully forged motor haha :(

Users who are viewing this thread