Is 393rwhp on an 8lbs vortech good numbers?

JaguarS4R

Established Member
I took my car on the dyno and all I got was 393rwhp, not sure if thats really that good but here are my stats from what I know now (dont know much since im not able to get a hold of the previous owner yet) It is in tune, NOT running rich and NOT running lean, However it redlines at like 6200 RPM, why is that? Shouldn't it redline at 6500-6700?

97 Cobra:

Vortech Si-Trim with 8lbs with Tial BOV
ProCharger Intercooler
BBK Headers
BBK OFF-ROAD Long Pipes
H-Pipe
4.10 (doesnt matter on dyno)

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Those are pretty good numbers. It's probably a conservative tune though which is perfectly fine.. How many miles are on the motor?? It might be why the tuner isn't spinning it that hard.

JaguarS4R

Established Member
Motor has less than 5k miles, its pretty much brand new, that could be the reason too, its a built motor, anyone have an idea what 15lbs would do to the HP and a more aggressive tune?

corysmach1

Established Member
My car has 150k miles and I made the numbers in the sig with a 10lb pulley it was 98 degrees that day. the car peaked at 11 psi. A/F is 11.3 and 17.5 degrees of timing on 93 pump. 6200 is a little short. If you have a built motor get your fuel setup right and turn up the boost.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Sounds like a really really conservative tune. I made 400rwhp at 8# with 2 degrees of timing, 120+ outside temp and we didn't spin it past 6k(spark blowout issue). Like stated above, get your fuel system up to task and spin it faster and higher. You can make 550rwhp with 15# no problem.

goats

Fast whitey
Established Member
What kind of dyno was it. Was it a dynojet or a mustang dyno

JaguarS4R

Established Member
Sounds like a really really conservative tune. I made 400rwhp at 8# with 2 degrees of timing, 120+ outside temp and we didn't spin it past 6k(spark blowout issue). Like stated above, get your fuel system up to task and spin it faster and higher. You can make 550rwhp with 15# no problem.

Yes but wont the belt be slipping at 15lbs, i want to do 15lbs, can i still get away without sipping

JaguarS4R

Established Member
I dont really know much about underdrive pulley, do i have to change that, why cant i just get a smaller blower pulley?

pacific4v

Established Member
do you know the compression ratio of ur motor? If its a built motor intended for boost it may have a lower than stock compression ratio which would explain a little lower than average numbers. what size pulley is on it now?

JaguarS4R

Established Member
do you know the compression ratio of ur motor? If its a built motor intended for boost it may have a lower than stock compression ratio which would explain a little lower than average numbers. what size pulley is on it now?

i dont know the compression yet, ill hopefully find out soon, but I have a 3.60 pulley which is between 8-9lbs

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
You would need a bigger crank pulley aka a overdrive pulley.. Overdrive is bigger, Underdrive is smaller. It'll add more boost and also more belt wrap.

Users who are viewing this thread