irs with slicks??

03snakeminated

Established Member
Gonna borrow some 15x8 telestars with 26' m/t slicks on them, this will be first time launching with slicks on the cobra, it has stock irs [except irs brace] cut springs, flsfc and its sporting an aggressive spec5 clutch, wondering what rpm I should dump her at? I was thinking 4k and see how she likes it :shrug: car has 2.6h kb plus small shot, previous best et and mph was 11.0 and 132... i'm hoping the stock half-shafts will stay together and finally ripping a 10.x pass, that's the goal, any suggestions ?
forgot to add car has a 26-spline I/S

Torched_03

Stock!
Established Member
I gonna go out on a limb and say theres not any slipping that clutch. i would move the rpm down to about 2-2500 and start from there. They might not survive a 4k dump and it would suck to break on your first pass

dntalman

Yella Terra
Established Member
I run a 28" and leave around 2500... My best is a 1.51 60 foot.... I had a fox that would 1.42 60 foot... It would carry the front wheels out around 10'... If the Cobra does not sell... I will set it up the same way..... I how I miss that lil red fox!
RedStang026.jpg

01Lightning011.jpg

03VenomBite

Established Member
+1 For starting with a lower rpm like 2500. A guy at local track last summer broke a half shaft with a stock eaton and some slicks!

whtcobra1998

Jet Powered
Established Member
if you haven't done it yet i would launch as high as the car will take as in doesn't bog but does not spin the tires, as when your staging slip the clutch to take all driveline lash out so it doesn't shock the parts, and if you have 4.10's do 28's not little 26's as they help with top end charge. I used to launch at 6k with a stick and 28's, and those 9 sec supras u see still have stock rear ends but they load the driveline before the launch to keep from breaking.

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
Run low pressure in them to make sure the side wall wrinkles and that'll save the half shafts to an extent.

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
The stock halfshafts are a lot stronger then most give them credit for. Most broken halfshafts are from wheel hop with a DR or street tire. The soft sidewall of the slick will absorb most of the shock on the launch and are very unlikely to wheel hop.

I'm not saying that they wont, or cant break on slicks.......but you will be supprised at how much abuse they can take as long as you dont hop.

Id start at a higher pressure and a 5K launch 17 and work your way down a PSI at a time until it bogs. Then either raise the launch RPM by a couple hundred or add 1/2 lb. Once you get in the ball park of the right amount of tire slip at the launch, you will have to adjust launch RPM and tire pressure accordingly to get the best 60ft.

With my 28x10.5 ET drags, Ive gotten my best 60ft (1.38) at 12.5psi. But thats with a solid axle and more tire. Different cars at different tracks will react differently to psi, so find what works for you and dont be afraid do hammer down on those tires!

You definitely have the power to run well into the 10's. Its a matter of nailing that 60ft. Your cut springs may be a hindrance and will eliminate pretty much any weight transfer. I normally suggest removing the front sway bar ( or at least unhooking the end links....you can pull it downward in the front and zip tie it to the hard line coming from the center of the steering rack). But I doubt it will help any with the cut springs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread