IRS vs SRA

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
Speaking off all this suspension talk. I just scored a brand new Griggs Watts link for 500 shipped. Reg 1200 plus tax, shipping etc.. My MM panhard will be for sale shortly :D

MM panhard bar still in California? :D

Sent from my '79 Fairmont coupe

blacksheep-1

Established Member
However, The IRS is also a retro-fit afterthought as I call it and is no where near perfect.
I respect Bruce and what FTBR has done with it.
It can be made worlds above factory with his kit.

It was just a suggestion, I'm a fan of them but he already has a stick axle and the IRS units are getting pricey.

Then there is one of my favorites which is great for drag or open track and that is the Torque arm set up. I believe you call it truck arm which I've never heard it called.

LOL, I'm 55, that's what we called them back in the day, they came out of early 60s Chevy trucks, NASCAR uses them to this day, the MMs are just refined.

and your from South Louisiana!?

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
It was just a suggestion, I'm a fan of them but he already has a stick axle and the IRS units are getting pricey.

LOL, I'm 55, that's what we called them back in the day, they came out of early 60s Chevy trucks, NASCAR uses them to this day, the MMs are just refined.

What's even funnier is that I think you guys are close in age hahahaah

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator

:beer:

I fooled with a few old chevy trucks but just don't remember calling them that. lol
I've called it a T/Q arm for about 20 years or so.
Yep, between N.O and Baton Rouge but a little more south.

What's even funnier is that I think you guys are close in age hahahaah

He has me by 12 years but I still don't remember that.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Yep, between N.O and Baton Rouge but a little more south.

anywhere around Waveland Miss? our (fire) department helped them out after Katrina, one of our guys was related to one of the cops there

alexandros

Established Member
I am in the same boat as I have all the MM rear SRA stuff in the garage ready to install and I just picked up an 04 IRS for nothing.

I am getting swayed by MM and Jack Hidley as their 91 track car has an IRS and beat the AI track record by 3 seconds with the IRS over the SRA. The only thing that makes it not too attractive is the lack of wheel and tire on a fox without alot of camber.

I think I am going to put the IRS in the car after I replace all the bushings then build up the SRA at the same time. I have all the parts for that build as well, except the pricey rear Wilwood brakes. I want to try both and see what I am missing. I have a drag car with a 9". This car is a track car, 89 vert.

I am not easily swayed, but think I will make the IRS a direct bolt in and not make too many unneeded holes. One of the two will stay. I am going to go backward in technology.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
The good thing about the IRS and the stick axle, is that they DO interchange quite easily, you should be able to knock it out in less than 2 hours.

Tholomew Plague

Established Member
The good thing about the IRS and the stick axle, is that they DO interchange quite easily, you should be able to knock it out in less than 2 hours.

I did mine over a 3 day weekend. The base shop is open a limited amount of time, also I'm not the most experienced mechanic and did the whole thing alone with the exception of a couple things that I enlisted the help of whoever was available. On a personal note: I officially hate springs (took almost the entire third day)

BTW is there any interest for a 04 SRA? Needs some work. I'm thinking about $250 obo

Users who are viewing this thread