IRS Upper control Arm bushing, question! help!

BTSMUSTANG

Established Member
A few weeks ago my passenger side rear suspension on my 99 cobra started to squeak, I thought it was my shock. I took the shock out and it was fine but then saw the problem that was making the squeak. It was upper control arm bushing on the outer side, right above the rear wheel spindle where the upper control arm connects to the rear wheel on the outward side, the rubber seals were torn apart, I sprayed some grease in there and the squeak almost went away so pretty sure that is the problem.

So my question is where do I get a replacement and what is that bushing called? Ive done a lot of research on online part stores and have only found bushing kits for the opposite side of the upper control arm(on the inward side of the control arm) Is this something I need to go to ford to get? Also does anyone know the name of this?

Please help a stanger out!

97V8SHO

F-22 Crew Chief
Established Member
You talkin about the knuckle?
toelinkremovalpc.jpg

The "bushing" that connects to the knuckle on top? If so that's not a bushing its a joint/bearing type assembly...forget the real name sorry, think it's called a cross axis joint...? But if that's it then yeah you need to get that from ford and it needs to be pressed in and out. Head over to Bruce's web site http://www.fulltiltboogieracing.com/informational_videos.htm (it's where is got that pic) he has TONS of info on the IRS. It's a great place to learn about it all.

Last edited:

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
It sounds like the OP is talking about the cross axis joints. How many miles is on the car? Torn boots on these joints does not necessarily mean the joint is bad, but yours could be. The picture above is centered on the tierod, the CA joint is at top and cropped off the bottom of the picture. With the rear of the car jacked up can you grab the tire and feel play in the joint?

97V8SHO

F-22 Crew Chief
Established Member
The picture above is centered on the tierod, the CA joint is at top and cropped off the bottom of the picture.

Cropped off the bottom? The cross joint is on top behind the puller connecting the upper control arm to the knuckle. I just used that pic as a reference, how shitty it may be lol.

BTSMUSTANG

Established Member
Yes it is the cross axis joint, in the picture its up near the top that is cut off in the picture. I checked it again today and there is no play in the wheel, the only visible problem is the rubber seals on both sides are all torn apart. I took the bolt out and greased it again and the squeak went away.
Maximum Motorsports :: The Leader In Mustang Performance Suspension

This kit is what I need but how come I dont see any rubber seals in the kit? Think I will give ford a call tomorrow and see if they have the seals or the part it self,

Thanks for all your help guys!

Users who are viewing this thread